Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If you could.....
what did Jarius do to piss him off?

Quote: @"VikingOracle" said:
Soliciting thoughts on a couple of scenarios passing through my head:

1. If you could trade Tom Johnson to a team needing a pass rushing DT for a 5th round draft pick, would you?  Yes.  Our weakness is run D, and TJ doesn't help there at all.  
  2. If you had to choose between Beavers or Sirles on the Oline, who do you keep?  Sirles.  He can backup any position but center.  Beavers hasn't shown he can even backup one competently.
  3. If you could trade Boone for a 4th round draft pick, would you?  NO! I know his motormouth act without equivalent play is irritating, but Easton hasn't played G at all in a RS game that I know of, and Boone's average play was still the best we had last season.
  4. If you could trade Jarius Wright to the Pats for any draft pick, would you.  Just throwing that open because of the recent Pats injury. Yes.  I don't know why, but Zimmer would clearly rather have another 8 eye surgeries than put Wright on the field. So get something for him and groom Coley.
  5. Ham or Hodges?  Far as I know Hodges is the #3 TE, not 4. Don't even know who #4 would be. I doubt we carry a FB at all, likely have Morgan as H-back in power formations. 

Quote: @"VikingOracle" said:
Soliciting thoughts on a couple of scenarios passing through my head:

1. If you could trade Tom Johnson to a team needing a pass rushing DT for a 5th round draft pick, would you?  My thoughts, Tom Johnson is 33 years old and probably in the last year with the Vikings.  He is a poor run defender but very good rusher.  Trading him would permit the Vikes to keep some of the younger players at DT.

Isn't Tom Johnson another of the bit players on this team who are VASTLY OVERRATED by fans here?? Yeah, he's hung on and had a surprisingly decent little career for a guy who is undersized for DT and not explosive enough to play DE. I highly doubt any other team would trade a 5th or even a conditional 7th-round comp pick for Johnson, because they know his modest success here  was due to:
  • Zimmer's scheme
  • Playing on a line with Linvalle Joseph, Everson Griffen, Brian Robison, Sharif Floyd, and Danielle Hunter (2015)
  • Johnson being 30-31 in his 2 decent seasons
Tom Johnson was our DL's "5th man" 2 years ago and I appreciated his effort in the role. But he's done and that 5th man is now BRob. I wish him no ill will, but I hope we cut him to keep someone younger, and if we do, I bet his NFL career is over.

The thread also reminds me of a couple things that concern me about Zimmer: he sometimes seems to be overly loyal to some (like Johnson) and vindictive to others (Wright). 

Questions 2 and 3 became very relevant today.