Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thielen/Vikings Working On Restructuring Deal
Quote: @Skodin said:
Turn that AT cap room money into Lane Taylor

draft focuses on T and DE
Taylor is 31. Historically, Rick has avoided signing FA's who are on the wrong side of 30. If he targets an OG, it'll be a younger player.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@MaroonBells said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@MaroonBells said:
@Skodin said:

I want Lane Taylor too, but the Vikings are freeing up a lot more money than they'll need for Lane Taylor. Could be they really do want to resign Harris. 
putting that much money on the back end of a defense is suspect IMO.  finding a cheap center fielder shouldnt be that tough or expensive considering how poorly FA Safeties have turned out the last few years.  I have always like Ant, but IMO he is likely about the easiest to replace in Zimmers D.  Instead of dumping big money on him I would rathers see it go to OL and then use an early day 2 pick on ANTs replacement. (trade back in fist for a 2nd or additional 3rd and then move up for a quality DB candidate.)
I agree. Harry with a mid-tier free agent and a 2nd or 3rd rounder satisfies my sense for balance a lot more than signing Harris to big money. But there might not be a mid-tier safety they like. And it's hard to count on the draft falling the way you want it to. 

Looks to me like the Vikings are approaching this methodically. They have areas where they can trim cap in order to fill holes. They have a list of holes. But that doesn't mean they're going to be able to hit on all of them in order of priority.  I suspect that's what happened yesterday. Thuney got expensive, move to DE, Lawson signs with Jets, move to 3T, sign Dalvin. Now they have some money, the remaining guards are all cheap. But they still need to fill that safety hole. Hey, what about the one who already knows our defense? 
yes you would still need to address S in FA,  but maybe not one you have to clear a mountain of cap space for?  I like the concept of filling all holes in FA ( maybe not with studs,  but at least capable bodies) and then being able to really work the draft for bpa OR move around to take advantage of special players that fit areas of weakness that are dropping to a point of value.
The Vikings do this fairly well. Its a balancing act. Use LT as an example, sure they filled it with Rashod Hill who very well may start week 1. But in the end I expect them to use a high draft pick on an OT. Its the strength of this draft class.  

Quote: @"BarrNone55" said:
Ben Goessling
@GoesslingStrib
· 21m
This is true, though it’s fairly preliminary, from what I understand. Thielen has an $11.1M base for 2021; Vikings could convert most of it to a signing bonus and save the cap space by doing so. twitter.com/profootballtal…
need room for rookies.

Quote: @"Geoff Nichols" said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@MaroonBells said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@MaroonBells said:
@Skodin said:

I want Lane Taylor too, but the Vikings are freeing up a lot more money than they'll need for Lane Taylor. Could be they really do want to resign Harris. 
putting that much money on the back end of a defense is suspect IMO.  finding a cheap center fielder shouldnt be that tough or expensive considering how poorly FA Safeties have turned out the last few years.  I have always like Ant, but IMO he is likely about the easiest to replace in Zimmers D.  Instead of dumping big money on him I would rathers see it go to OL and then use an early day 2 pick on ANTs replacement. (trade back in fist for a 2nd or additional 3rd and then move up for a quality DB candidate.)
I agree. Harry with a mid-tier free agent and a 2nd or 3rd rounder satisfies my sense for balance a lot more than signing Harris to big money. But there might not be a mid-tier safety they like. And it's hard to count on the draft falling the way you want it to. 

Looks to me like the Vikings are approaching this methodically. They have areas where they can trim cap in order to fill holes. They have a list of holes. But that doesn't mean they're going to be able to hit on all of them in order of priority.  I suspect that's what happened yesterday. Thuney got expensive, move to DE, Lawson signs with Jets, move to 3T, sign Dalvin. Now they have some money, the remaining guards are all cheap. But they still need to fill that safety hole. Hey, what about the one who already knows our defense? 
yes you would still need to address S in FA,  but maybe not one you have to clear a mountain of cap space for?  I like the concept of filling all holes in FA ( maybe not with studs,  but at least capable bodies) and then being able to really work the draft for bpa OR move around to take advantage of special players that fit areas of weakness that are dropping to a point of value.
The Vikings do this fairly well. Its a balancing act. Use LT as an example, sure they filled it with Rashod Hill who very well may start week 1. But in the end I expect them to use a high draft pick on an OT. Its the strength of this draft class.  
So I guess that means Ezra stays at Guard then.

Geoff  I hope you're right on them targeting OT early---we have needed that addressed for too long---

Quote: @PurpleCrush said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@MaroonBells said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@MaroonBells said:
@Skodin said:

Who knows.  The draft is a month away.  A lot could change by then.  There is a mountain of OL players that weren't awful last year that got cut because of the salary cap.  Its not like Rieff was the only one.  It'll be interesting to see what the real market is for these average or so OL's

Quote: @PurpleCrush said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@MaroonBells said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@MaroonBells said:
@Skodin said:

then somebody better get him a buffet coupon,  make it two so he can take Bradbury with him.  We need more beef on that interior OL so we can get real push off the ball and not rely on the DTs taking themselves out of the play all the time.

Interesting Reiff hasnt signed anywhere.

Quote: @PSBLAKE said:
SSHHHH,  I am hoping he goes unnoticed and we can get him back here on the cheap.  ( a guy can dream right?)  Put a monster LG next to him that can handle DTs on his own,   and that allows Bradbury to focus his help to Cleveland's side or on the a gap blitzs.

wow look at me,  give me a DT and suddenly I am just shitting optimism for the coming year.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@PSBLAKE said:
SSHHHH,  I am hoping he goes unnoticed and we can get him back here on the cheap.  ( a guy can dream right?)  Put a monster LG next to him that can handle DTs on his own,   and that allows Bradbury to focus his help to Cleveland's side or on the a gap blitzs.

wow look at me,  give me a DT and suddenly I am just shitting optimism for the coming year.
Tis the season...