Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reiff Released
Quote: @"BarrNone55" said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@"BarrNone55" said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@"BarrNone55" said:
Those two things aren't mutually exclusive @Jor-El. You do recall that we were in the playoff hunt, correct? And our D was decimated due to injuries and FA, right?

I often wonder if many of you live in an alternate reality.
Alternate reality would have been where that team would have been considered a playoff contender.   Nobody could have believed last years team was going anywhere that actually watched them play.
Well, actually, they were in the playoff race in week 16. So ooo...I'm not sure what to say. Were they going to win a SB? No. But you don't start a rebuild while you are still in the hunt.
hunt for what though?  a worse draft pick?  they were going no where and the fact that they didnt work out some of their lineman at other spots and give some of the other reserves looks when opportunities presented themselves is a dumb way to build a roster.   when they shipped ngokue out they admitted they had no real shot at a successful season but they kept dicking around anyway and ended up with a shittier draft pick and no closer to finding answers to the questions that they are now faced with.   you dont have to completely take a knee to get some guys reps against pro talent in real situations.
Well Jimmy, again in my reply to Jor-el, I stated two facts: we were in the playoff race and our team was decimated by injuries and FA. He seemed they were mutually exclusive. They are not.

Furthermore, I'm pretty sure that the guys on the roster don't give a flying fuck about draft position. I'm pretty sure coaches aren't going to try to win less games for draft position. 

I'm pretty sure everyone plays to win the game. 
Fine. So let Udoh and Hinton and Samia be the ones playing to win.

Teams use parts of seasons to try out young players all the time. If a coach is truly secure in his job and the GM is smart enough to know that future development should be a higher priority than eking out another win or two, they can do it. It does not mean they walk into the locker room and say, "Try to lose today, guys!" None of us proposed that specifically.

Our complaint - mine anyway - is that Spielman and Zimmer didn't recognize it was a season with too many issues to overcome, and turn that into an opportunity. Many of you say the team was handicapped by early injuries, Pierce opt-out, no minicamp, whatever. OK, lots of people suspected that by game 6, some even earlier. They were proven right. Why didn't our management see that, and figure out if anyone could play LT when they had the opportunity?

Samia? Lofl. Hopefully you don't expect anyone to ever take you seriously going forward.

@JimmyinSD well, the draft has proven time and again that picking high guarantees success. Take the Lions for example. Top ten pick nearly every year in the last 20, one playoff win since 1957. Or the Bengals,  or the WTFs.
So why not trade out of those high picks if they don't carry more value?   Isn't the sign of bad teams more a case of overall poor football acumen than players not working out?  If Spelman is worth a shit as so many like to profess i would certainly hope he could do better with high picks than the shit that has been running those organizations. 

Samia? Lofl. Hopefully you don't expect anyone to ever take you seriously going forward.
Really? A guy that Rick Spielman moved up to get (traded 2 picks to get him) in the 4th round, heralded as a steal by many on this board, played only 2 seasons here, 23 years old...and you have declared his future prospects so utterly dead that you can mock me for suggesting the team see if he could improve his skills rather than keep rolling out Dakota Dozier in a lost season?

Tell me again which of us frequently proclaims Rick Spielman the best drafter in the NFL. 

You tell me. I haven't heard anyone claim he was the best. One of the best, not the best. 

Regardless, anyone who wants to tank to see Samia play more cannot be taken seriously, sorry.