Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dak Prescott contract
Quote: @MarkSP18 said:
@MaroonBells said:
@AGRforever said:
@MarkSP18 said:
The sad part is that the Vikings could have easily drafted Dak in 2016.

They were soooo confident in their roster that Spielman traded #86 to the Dolphins for #186 and their 2017 3rd and 4th rounders.

He used #121 on Willie Beavers.  Dak went #135.

He did turn #186 into David Morgan & Stephen Weatherly.
He used the 2017 4th from Miami to move up for Cook but could have stayed put for Kamara or Mixon
The rest of 2017 is too convoluted to detail but he traded down so much (past Kittle) it is not even worth mentioning.

Why do this review which some will call hindsight?

It shines a light on the current regimes disdain for using mid-round picks on QB depth no matter who is the starter.

I fear that they are "fat and happy" with Kork, Mannion, Browning, and Stanley.

I have doubts that they are truly interested in any of the top QBs although they have visited with Maj Jones, Ehlinger, & Book.

I know folks will say that they have Teddy and should not invest in the backup QB but I think that is a mistake.

The Patriots spent a 2nd on Jimmy G and a 3rd on Brissett even though they had the GOAT.

I'm just hoping the Vikings invest in a better backup QB and using mid-round picks to try and hit the lottery is not a bad idea.

It cant be worse than Clemmings, Beavers, Yankey, Samia, etc.

You're not shinning a light on anything.  There have been studies done on draft pick conversion rates (don't know where to find them now) and the Vikings were far from the worst at it.  They did quite well on draft pick conversion.  I think they used "on the team 5 years from now" as a judge and factored in probowls/all pro ect. 

The draft is a crapshoot for everyone, not just the Vikings.  While doing hindsight might be fun it accomplishes nothing.  You can take everyone in the NFC North.  I'd take our picks over all 3 teams with the exception of GB getting lucky on Erin.  Past him, we've blown everyone out of the water on picks turning into good/great players. 
Mark does this. He'll mention Willie Beavers or David Yankey and say, "look what a terrible drafting team!" Not even aware that the Vikings have fewer of those than most teams. He'll complain about a 4th round pick like Jalyn Holmes, not realizing that Holmes has contributed more than most of the 37 players taken in the 4th round in 2018 (look it up). People who pay attention to only their team in the draft tend to have terrible perspective.

Fact: there isn't a team in the NFL who has drafted more pro bowlers since 2010 than the Vikings (two are tied). Fact: An analyst for the Cowboys did a study on draft pick "value over expectation." In other words, how the player performed measured against where he was taken. For example, you would expect a top 5 pick to perform well. You would not expect as much for a pick in the 20s, or in the 3rd or 4th round. 

Now, I doubt this analysis was perfect, but nor was it done by a Viking fan. Still, by this metric Vikings finished in the top ten 5 out of the last 6 drafts and finished 1st in 3 of the 6. By FAR the best in the NFL. That isn't just good, it's ABSURD. It just rattles my brain that there are still people who think the Vikings don't draft well. 

You want to know why George Paton has been such a hot commodity over the last several season? This is a big part of it. Hell, John Elway fired HIMSELF to get a piece of the Vikings draft room. 
It's like a gang here. LMAO.

In your comment you also say nothing about the main point of my comment was the Vikings failure to draft a QB in the middle rounds.  Who was the last one?  Booty?

The forest for the trees.
Yes, Mark, it gets frustrating here because the gang mentality is to show each other stats about individual performances or ratings of drafting excellence or pictures of players flexing their muscles, and then for the group to tell each other how awesome it is and how it means the Vikings and their current GM and coach and owners and players are obviously the best.

Fine, the cheerleaders here can do that with each other, but it's sad when they harass you for asking questions about whether the team is doing the right things. You know quite well that people start insulting you if you disagree or even question their conclusions. I've asked people to explain why they ripped on dissenters and received rude answers like "I don't suffer fools". Some posters who raised really interesting questions (like FSUVike) gave up on this board and others have been chased off completely.

We've drafted the most Pro Bowlers since 2010? Fantastic! We must have won a Super Bowl or two, right? Been in the playoffs at least half those seasons? Dominated our division?

Vikings draft "by FAR the best in the NFL", superior teams like the Broncos want to emulate us? Awesome!! Same questions as above. Show me the Trophies.

I just don't see how anyone feels this team has results so amazing that their way of operating (drafting, coaching, managing the roster) is absolutely beyond being questioned. But a big group of people here feel justified in mocking anyone who expresses doubt in the Vikings' management.

Mark, I don't agree with everything you say but I'm glad to see your opinion regardless and hope you keep sharing them. I'm glad to read everyone's opinions, just not when the attacks take over. 

The best insights I've heard on the Dakota Prescott deal are from RJ Bell on his Straight Outta Vegas podcast yesterday (3/9).  Totally breaks down why it's a badly flawed signing.

Jerry probably made more money than Dak’s contract during the freeze! Oh, & Jerry just announced 100% attendance for home game this season!  Confused 

Quote: @Kentis said:
Jerry probably made more money than Dak’s contract during the freeze! Oh, & Jerry just announced 100% attendance for home game this season!  Confused 
He bragged earlier that his stadium had the highest attendance during the pandemic. Umm, congrats Jerry?

Dak had/has one of the supposedly best O-lines in the NFL, talented receivers, and a RB who a couple years ago was pretty special.Before he got hurt, they were 1-4. They still couldn't get past anyone in the putrid NFC East