Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
JG back to Pats???
Jimmy Garoppolo Trade Rumors: 49ers QB 'Is Far and Away' Patriots' 'Plan A'Fresh off their first losing season in two decades, the New England Patriots are reportedly planning to pursue their former quarterback to lead them back to the playoffs.

No, not the one you're thinking about. The one they reportedly want is Jimmy Garoppolo, who they traded in 2017.
"From what I gather from talking to people this week, over the past week, Jimmy Garoppolo still is far and away their Plan A," Greg Bedard of the Boston Sports Journal said on his podcast this week. "That, if they had to draw it up, exactly the optimal situation for the Patriots for this coming season, it's Jimmy G coming back here. And of course, that's all dependent on the 49ers doing something."
Garoppolo played for the Patriots from 2014 to 2017 before being traded for a second-round pick during the 2017 season. He's been solid but unspectacular in San Francisco, with most metrics grading him out as an average starting quarterback, but the 49ers have been largely successful whenever he's been in the lineup. The 49ers are 22-8 over the last four seasons with Garoppolo as their starter and 7-27 with someone else under center.
49ers general manager John Lynch recently said the team plans on having Garoppolo back as its starter next season but acknowledged a need for a sturdy backup. Garoppolo has missed 23 games over the last three seasons.
"Being available is a big part of this thing," Lynch said on the Eye Test for Two podcast. "So we—probably as a stated goal—we have to insulate ourselves better. We got to have better options if he's not there. I've watched people go through this in their careers where they struggled early. It happened to me early, and then I went eight years without missing a practice. So I believe things can happen, and I believe they will for him. I really believe that Jimmy is our guy."
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2934...ce=cnn.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=editorial

Hmmmm...  Sounds like Jimmy G to NE is a thing.

So then who does SF target to replace Jimmy G ?

SF is saying all the right things, but I get the sense it's all BS and SF FO wants to get a different QB.

Quote: @Mattyman said:

SF is saying all the right things, but I get the sense it's all BS and SF FO wants to get a different QB.
I recommend Kirk  :p

Quote: @Mattyman said:

Maybe Teddy: Report: 49ers called Panthers about Teddy Bridgewater - ProFootballTalk (nbcsports.com)

Aren't both these teams (SF and NE) potentially in the hunt for DeShaun Watson? I know neither has the high draft picks Houston would want, but people keep talking about Chicago trying to trade for him and they are even lower in the draft. I just think every team that's being coy about their QB is keeping their options open for Watson until that gets settled.

Quote: @Jor-El said:

@Mattyman said:

Maybe Teddy: Report: 49ers called Panthers about Teddy Bridgewater - ProFootballTalk (nbcsports.com)

Aren't both these teams (SF and NE) potentially in the hunt for DeShaun Watson? I know neither has the high draft picks Houston would want, but people keep talking about Chicago trying to trade for him and they are even lower in the draft. I just think every team that's being coy about their QB is keeping their options open for Watson until that gets settled.
he is certainly the domino that will start the chain a moving.  however if the Texans over play this they will end up losing out as some team will break and make an offer to another team that may not be as much as what they were offering Houston,  but might be good enough to them somebody else and once the bidders start to thin that will lower their offers as well.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@Jor-El said:

@Mattyman said:

he is certainly the domino that will start the chain a moving.  however if the Texans over play this they will end up losing out as some team will break and make an offer to another team that may not be as much as what they were offering Houston,  but might be good enough to them somebody else and once the bidders start to thin that will lower their offers as well.
Makes sense, but who else is comparable? Wentz and Stafford arguably started the QB trading, but I don't know if either of them were close enough to Watson to "set the market", were they? Those trades do take 2 potential bidders (Indy and LA) out of the market for Watson, though.

@JimmyinSD said:
@Jor-El said:

@Mattyman said:

Makes sense, but who else is comparable? Wentz and Stafford arguably started the QB trading, but I don't know if either of them were close enough to Watson to "set the market", were they? Those trades do take 2 potential bidders (Indy and LA) out of the market for Watson, though.
Cousins, Wilson  are two that teams would "settle" for instead of getting left out in the cold by houston.

@Mattyman said:

The way New England has beaten Houston over the years I'm skeptical they would ever send Watson there.  

I'd say Houston won't trade him to an AFC team other than maybe the Jets but then again, the Texans have managed to surpass the WTF football team as the league's worst football operation, quite an achievement.