Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"The blacks....." lol, sigh.....
Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@BigAl99 said:
It depends on who say's it.  The discussions about how one culture taking ownership of pejorative terms about themselves and turn it positive by using them as terms of cohesion within their own community is very important.  What I also learned in those discussions, trying to take back those terms and say if "if I can't use those words, you can't either" is one of the simplest examples of privilege there is.     
I dont see it as I should be able to use a term they find offensive,  I just dont think their ire should be of my concern if they are accepting of its use by others but not by me.   IMO that is more racist than the use of the words to begin with.
It's just not up to you, get over it, it a social mores.  Why you always looking to be butt hurt and a victim of society.  

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@Vikergirl said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@Vikergirl said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@purplefaithful said:
Since it's very inception, this country has and most likely always will be dealing with racism. It's the ugly underbelly of Amerika. It sure aint just Tx. Ive said for years that these nice Minnesotan's (of which I am one) is among the most segregated states in the Union. 

Back when I worked for BIG CPG we had a hell of a time keeping good people of color here long-term. Not a place that many wanted to raise their families. 

Younger generations of people of color aren't ok with how things were going forward. I sure don't blame em. Lots of tough conversations going on. 
how is it acceptable to use the term "people of color",  but if I referred to a black man or woman as a "colored person" then I would likely get the shit slapped out of me?

edit: this isnt a shot at Pfaith,  its an observation,  i see the term people of color used widely,  but I know for a fact that "colored" is not an appropriate reference to a black man/woman.

always loved this one:

One was considered derogatory and the other one is not. One is a reminder of ugly history. Search colored signs and you will see it.

IMO its more a case of selective rage.... either a words use pisses a person off or it doesnt.  lots of examples these days of people not giving a shit when one person says something vs when another person does.  either saying a black person is "colored" is offensive or it isnt,  not really a grey/gray way of looking at it IMO.  
Those signs on businesses are more than selective rage. They were barriers to keep people out. Those are dark spots in history. Some of that history is not that long ago. Until that part of our history is reckoned with, we are stuck in some very important ways. The systemic racism needs to be addressed.
no its not.  either they are upset with the use of the word "color" to describe people of their skin tone, or they are not.  This isnt about disputing the validity of their offense being taken,  but its about how much give a shit should be given when the anger is not applied equally.   either using that word in that context is offensive or it isnt,  if it is then we shouldnt see anybody using that word that way.
The signs from history that reinforced racial discrimination are completely and utterly unacceptable. It is abhorrent that it was a thing to separate and deny people access.

Quote: @BigAl99 said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@BigAl99 said:
It depends on who say's it.  The discussions about how one culture taking ownership of pejorative terms about themselves and turn it positive by using them as terms of cohesion within their own community is very important.  What I also learned in those discussions, trying to take back those terms and say if "if I can't use those words, you can't either" is one of the simplest examples of privilege there is.     
I dont see it as I should be able to use a term they find offensive,  I just dont think their ire should be of my concern if they are accepting of its use by others but not by me.   IMO that is more racist than the use of the words to begin with.
It's just not up to you, get over it, it a social mores.  Why you always looking to be butt hurt and a victim of society.  
whos getting butt hurt,  i am simply pointing out that a person not following the social justice warrior handbook doesnt make them a racist.  especially in this manner where the word is being used in exactly the same context.  knowing that saying a black man is a colored man is offensive to many black men,  I would not intentionally use it,  but if somebody else did I certainly wouldnt condemn as racist on the words use alone as I have seen done.  it is pretty rich for you to tell me to get over it,  when I am not the one that is finding something offensive.... perhaps you need to direct your helpful advice to those that find offense in its use but some but not others?