Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OL or QB?
If a QB like Zach Wilson fell to us in the first round, what makes any of us think this Coaching Staff would have any clue how to utilize him and the skills he brings to the table? He runs a pass first RPO spread offense at BYU. He is the main event on that team. If Kyle Shanahan was drafting him, the Cliff Kingsbury/Mike Leach types, or whoever Bienemy's team will be when he becomes a Head Coach next year, Zach's style of play would be a perfect fit for those type of Offensive Head Coaches. Zimmer wants his QB to be an afterthought and have everything flow through the running game. Despite what a lot of us think of Cousins, he really is a good fit for the scheme this coaching staff wants to run. He isn't the problem with this team. It's the OLine and Defense. If you want to go after a player like Wilson, then you need to change out the Staff and Front Office with a total change in philosophy IMO. 

QB really depends if the right player falls to us. I would be fine with a LT, since Reiff will likely be gone next year and while we have internal options in Cleveland and O’Neill they both look good on the right side.

Where the conversation gets interesring for me is DL. Hunter’s neck issues worry me. After him, I think Odenigbo is a nice back up, but hasn’t been able to make an impact as a starter. Wonnum has been a nice find, but it’s hard to say what his ceiling is and it would be hard to turn down someone like Rousseau. That being said, I think that 3T is the biggest hole on the roster and they need to address it early in the draft or in FA. Generating quick pressure up the middle seems to be more important than edge pressure right now and if we could add a good 3T to pair with Pierce next seaon, then the DL would look a lot better.

Quote: @TBro said:
If a QB like Zach Wilson fell to us in the first round, what makes any of us think this Coaching Staff would have any clue how to utilize him and the skills he brings to the table? He runs a pass first RPO spread offense at BYU. He is the main event on that team. If Kyle Shanahan was drafting him, the Cliff Kingsbury/Mike Leach types, or whoever Bienemy's team will be when he becomes a Head Coach next year, Zach's style of play would be a perfect fit for those type of Offensive Head Coaches. Zimmer wants his QB to be an afterthought and have everything flow through the running game. Despite what a lot of us think of Cousins, he really is a good fit for the scheme this coaching staff wants to run. He isn't the problem with this team. It's the OLine and Defense. If you want to go after a player like Wilson, then you need to change out the Staff and Front Office with a total change in philosophy IMO. 
Yea, I have been advocating moving on from Zimmer for awhile (after Philly debacle) so I agree with Zimmer not being a match with a Wilson type.  I am still in favor of Spelly as GM and think he is a very good drafter.  Then you add that we are pretty much stuck with Cousin's for 2 more years after this then I would still consider  drafting Wilson with the thought that we have already moved on from Zimmer or will in a season when we can transition and Wilson learn.  I know that no one drafts a QB high anymore and lets them sit for even a year but we are in a shitty situation at QB as usual.  Lastly, we have to have the mentality of positional spending now IMO.  So just because we are locked in at around 30 million a year or even more when you add a rookie it makes the positional spending not as bad.  Bad but not as bad.  The vast majority of teams will have that positional spending at QB around that range anyway in a year or two.  So when we look at it that way we can have a Wilson start as soon as he is ready because the Cousins contract $$$ is a sunk cost and should not hold the team or position back from moving forward because then you have a very high opportunity cost that will cost the team even more.  I pulled out my old accounting terms for shitz and giggles Smile