Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I am going to say it
If the Vikings miss the playoffs, I blame Zim for not adjusting his coverage schemes to assist the young CBs until a few games into the season.  Just think of all the times, they allowed Dantz to be on an island by himself.

So he's supposed to know, without any preseason, how to run all defensive schemes in the first 3 games? I think this is a bad take, also because these corners are playing better on their own too. Gladney was not good the first few games, but is showing signs of improvement. This team was a mess to start the season and was definitely one of the top 5 teams who could have benefitted most from a preseason.

Maybe we need to blame Kubiak too as he thought Bisi was our #2 receiver for the first two games instead of Jefferson

No real NT, no Hunter, a bunch of rookies at CB.  That was probably a big part of it. 

It is exactly that there was no preseason games that you need to assume that the young corners (especially the rookies) were not prepared to play Zimmer's preferred scheme.  Plan for the worst, hope for the best.

Yes, no NT, no hunter and a bunch of rookies at CB -- you need to assume that you can't run out the same defense you did when half the defense turns over and has a bunch of rookies playing important roles.

Again, you plan for the worst, hope for the best.  It tool Zimmer too many games to realize he needed to modify his defense.

Yes, Kubiak is not without blame.

I think that's a bit harsh, VO. Plan + rookies = chaos. Hard to plan for how rookies will play without preseason games. And then the injuries. I think Pierce opting out surprised the franchise. 

Quote: @VikingOracle said:
It is exactly that there was no preseason games that you need to assume that the young corners (especially the rookies) were not prepared to play Zimmer's preferred scheme.  Plan for the worst, hope for the best.

Yes, no NT, no hunter and a bunch of rookies at CB -- you need to assume that you can't run out the same defense you did when half the defense turns over and has a bunch of rookies playing important roles.

Again, you plan for the worst, hope for the best.  It tool Zimmer too many games to realize he needed to modify his defense.

I understand where you are trying to go, but you cant forget that both Holton Hill and Mike Hughes were starters to begin the season.

I was as frustrated as they get with Zimmer, and I'll likely be super frustrated again, but he's been coaching his ass off the last 3 games. Nothing we can do about the first few, it sucked, a lot of of players and coaches sucked, but we still have a shot.

Quote: @VikingOracle said:

Or you coach the kids up and let them get better.  It was gonna be a learning experience no matter what, better off letting them learn a good D than babying them through a bad one.  I  don't pretend to know his scheme, but Zimmer seems to be one of the best year in and year out, innovating along the way.

I'll say it, we get out of this hole that we dug ourselves into and Zim deserves coach of the year consideration.  We played last night without our top 4 corners on the original depth chart, our all pro DE, a stud DT and no pro bowl LB. 
We've played the majority of the season like that and i'd wager to say that there isn't really a defense hotter in the last 3 weeks than the Vikings and we have got to be one of, if not the youngest defense in the league.

The future looks ridiculously bright.