Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I don't think Trey Lance makes it out of top 6 in NFL Draft
Quote: @purplefaithful said:
If you believe in something? Go for it. Ballz to the wallz. 

If the Vikings have just enough personnel and luck to get to that 6-7 wins? It will be painful. But KC would do the deal for Mahomes again in a minute and every way till Sunday...

Somtimes you just gotta say...

[Image: Picture+1.png]
Totally agree. If the Vikings are at like #7 or #8, they need to do what it takes. But it may be that the Vikings aren't that high on Lance. Who knows.

I dont doubt Lance will go top 10,  (llke sticky says it only takes  a couple gms to lose their minds)  maybe even top 5,  but i don't see the ceiling being as high for him as some and wouldn't value him anywhere near what I would want from a QB drafted that high.  

He can only play who's on his schedule and run the ays called,  but i would expect his stats against the lower tier schools he plays to be stellar and his passing 2 days ago wasnt.

His spring ball will tell the tale,  if he continues to show as an average or lower passer then IMO he becomes untouchable for my team debating in the top 10.

in case anybody missed the announcement.. Lance has declared for the draft.   I dont know if he could have played the bisons spring ball and still been in the draft,  but its moot now as he will be working on getting ready for the combine and the draft process to turn pro.

Smart move, definitely a 1st round QB, and probably top 10, get out of school, stay healthy, work on your craft.  He will be interesting to watch.

Quote: @PurpleCrush said:
I think you're right Sticky. It's going to be a bum rush for the top 3 QB's, and I don't think we'll get a shot at any of them. Lawrence & Fields seem like locks to go 1-2, with Lance being a wild card. Still a lot of football to be played, along with the offseason moves and draft preparation, so lots can change until then.

Here's another takeaway from his game yesterday. 
https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/qb-trey-lance-s-performance-in-2020-showcase-game-offers-zero-clarity 

The North Dakota State Bison made their lone scheduled appearance of the fall Saturday, and with it came one of the hottest tickets in the NFL scouting community: the chance to check out quarterback Trey Lance in person. 
In all, there were between 25 and 30 NFL scouts in attendance to see one of the biggest hype trains of the summer leave the station for his one and only spin against Central Arkansas. Here's the good news: The Bison won 39-28 thanks to some sturdy play from Lance in the final quarter.
The bad news? Lance looked, by and large, pedestrian versus the gold standard he'd set as a redshirt freshman in 2019, where he accounted for nearly 4,000 yards of total offense with 42 total touchdowns and zero interceptions. Oh, right, and an undefeated 15-0 season and a romp to a third consecutive FCS National Championship.
I would imagine it was very difficult for him and the other members of that NDSU squad to be totally hyped up for one meaningless game. I highly doubt the scouts look at their sole game this year, but will zoom in on last year where he was highly efficient in passing (67% completion) and rushing. Idk if the Vikes would move up for him, but I bet there will be a lot of discussion around that in a few months

Quote: @Hawkvike25 said:
@PurpleCrush said:
I think you're right Sticky. It's going to be a bum rush for the top 3 QB's, and I don't think we'll get a shot at any of them. Lawrence & Fields seem like locks to go 1-2, with Lance being a wild card. Still a lot of football to be played, along with the offseason moves and draft preparation, so lots can change until then.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/qb-trey-lance-s-performance-in-2020-showcase-game-offers-zero-clarity 

The North Dakota State Bison made their lone scheduled appearance of the fall Saturday, and with it came one of the hottest tickets in the NFL scouting community: the chance to check out quarterback Trey Lance in person. 
In all, there were between 25 and 30 NFL scouts in attendance to see one of the biggest hype trains of the summer leave the station for his one and only spin against Central Arkansas. Here's the good news: The Bison won 39-28 thanks to some sturdy play from Lance in the final quarter.
The bad news? Lance looked, by and large, pedestrian versus the gold standard he'd set as a redshirt freshman in 2019, where he accounted for nearly 4,000 yards of total offense with 42 total touchdowns and zero interceptions. Oh, right, and an undefeated 15-0 season and a romp to a third consecutive FCS National Championship.
I would imagine it was very difficult for him and the other members of that NDSU squad to be totally hyped up for one meaningless game. I highly doubt the scouts look at their sole game this year, but will zoom in on last year where he was highly efficient in passing (67% completion) and rushing. Idk if the Vikes would move up for him, but I bet there will be a lot of discussion around that in a few months
how do you not get hyped up for your 1 game afters months of practice?  I think you are looking at this backwards.  They had nothing after that game to distract them from preparation.  That was the seniors (and Lances) last real live chance to show  that they are NFL material.... that was their best chance to either cement their status (which I question that Lance did)  or to put themselves into a spotlight.  The NFL stands for not for long,  so what happened in 2019 might as well have been a 5 years ago if it isnt backed up,  especially for players with only 1 season under their belt like Lance had.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@Hawkvike25 said:
@PurpleCrush said:

how do you not get hyped up for your 1 game afters months of practice?  I think you are looking at this backwards.  They had nothing after that game to distract them from preparation.  That was the seniors (and Lances) last real live chance to show  that they are NFL material.... that was their best chance to either cement their status (which I question that Lance did)  or to put themselves into a spotlight.  The NFL stands for not for long,  so what happened in 2019 might as well have been a 5 years ago if it isnt backed up,  especially for players with only 1 season under their belt like Lance had.
Some may see it that way, but in the mindset of Lance it's probably more of "I cant really improve my draft stock any more playing against this FCS Team. We aren't playing for a Natty, not playing to get into a tournament, etc." For the seniors who will never play football again, sure they probably got hyped up for the game. For him, nothing to really play for knowing his resume was basically solidified. 

Quote: @Hawkvike25 said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@Hawkvike25 said:
@PurpleCrush said:

Some may see it that way, but in the mindset of Lance it's probably more of "I cant really improve my draft stock any more playing against this FCS Team. We aren't playing for a Natty, not playing to get into a tournament, etc." For the seniors who will never play football again, sure they probably got hyped up for the game. For him, nothing to really play for knowing his resume was basically solidified. 
i dont see his resume as solidified.   he had 1 year of college ball, thats hardly a ringing testament to what kind of player he will be long term.  Last year was impressive no doubt,  and his physical traits are exactly what a pro scout is looking for,  but how is his work ethic,  how about his maturity level once he has tasted success?  IMO I would have like to have seen him come out and make a statement to his ability as a QB that should be selected in the first round knowing everything after last saturday is underwear olympics and memorex to determine his draft position.  we've all seen guys that are projected climb like crazy after 1 solid final season,  and we have seen guys that seem like locks drop due to no fault of their own.  

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@Hawkvike25 said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@Hawkvike25 said:
@PurpleCrush said:

i dont see his resume as solidified.   he had 1 year of college ball, thats hardly a ringing testament to what kind of player he will be long term.  Last year was impressive no doubt,  and his physical traits are exactly what a pro scout is looking for,  but how is his work ethic,  how about his maturity level once he has tasted success?  IMO I would have like to have seen him come out and make a statement to his ability as a QB that should be selected in the first round knowing everything after last saturday is underwear olympics and memorex to determine his draft position.  we've all seen guys that are projected climb like crazy after 1 solid final season,  and we have seen guys that seem like locks drop due to no fault of their own.  
I'm saying solidified as one game this year, vs and FCS team, is not going to impact how scouts view him. This game likely had no effect on his draft status so that's the nature of my reasoning for predicting it was probably hard to be hyped up.