Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vikings to suspend in-person club activities due to Covid-19 concerns.
Quote: @Jor-El said:
In any other workplace, people exposed to someone who tested positive is quarantined for 14 days. How did the NFL decide 48 hours was all that was needed? Seems like a business decision because they don't want to cancel 4 games (the Titans and Vikings for the next two weeks). But do they want to risk adding the Steelers and Texans to the list of exposed teams?
Help me out here.. if everyone on the Vikings tested negative this week as was noted above, what is the risk?  That the tests are wrong and some guys actually have it?  What am I missing?

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
Vikings had no positive tests. Given that, not sure why they can't just continue as normal. 
We have a runner on our cross country team that contracted it....from his teacher none the less...
He was 5.75' away for longer then 15 minutes. (CDC guidelines)  No one else in the small classroom caught it. 

Whats interesting is he was able to come back after I think after 10 days symptom free but the rest of his class and family are out for 14 days even though none of them eventually contracted it due to the lag time. 

Quote: @Jor-El said:
In any other workplace, people exposed to someone who tested positive is quarantined for 14 days. How did the NFL decide 48 hours was all that was needed? Seems like a business decision because they don't want to cancel 4 games (the Titans and Vikings for the next two weeks). But do they want to risk adding the Steelers and Texans to the list of exposed teams?
Right, why have CDC guidelines if they don't apply?  Can you imagine being who ever the unlucky building workers or someone else in Houston?

Quote: @comet52 said:
@Jor-El said:
Help me out here.. if everyone on the Vikings tested negative this week as was noted above, what is the risk?  That the tests are wrong and some guys actually have it?  What am I missing?

I think they could be exposed and be incubating the virus without symptoms or a positive test result for up to 14 days. I know, there are a lot of loose edges around these guidelines, but it just seems like the NFL is setting different rules than those recommended by CDC and states.

They’re using quick turnaround(less than 24hrs) testing, 3-5 days after exposure seems to be the sweet spot for a possible positive test, from what I read. They will be reopening the facility Thursday w/ enhanced testing protocols for all tiers...

In addition to the PCR tests that players have been undergoing that takes "24 hours or less, hopefully, to get back," everyone will undergo a point-of-care (POC) test that will take about 20 minutes. No one will be admitted until they have a negative PCR from Wednesday and a negative POC test Thursday morning.

Its 5-7 day sweet spot from my BIL. Our cross country kid gave it to his mom. 5 days from diagnosis to diagnosis. 24 hour turn around on testing here. 

I’ll call BIL tonight and see what he thinks. He’s epidemiologist high up the foodchain in his state.