Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Guess who called this one
Interesting, this summary suggests that a positive pcr test does not necessarily indicate an active infection

https://www.cebm.net/covid-19/infectious...-covid-19/

Quote: @"IDVikingfan" said:
Interesting, this summary suggests that a positive pcr test does not necessarily indicate an active infection

https://www.cebm.net/covid-19/infectious-positive-pcr-test-result-covid-19/
"Data are sparse on how the PCR results relate to viral culture
results. There is some evidence of a relationship between the time from
collection of a specimen to test, symptom severity and the chances that
someone is infectious.

One of the studies we found  (Bullard et al)
investigated viral culture in samples from a group of patients and
compared the results with PCR testing data and time of their symptom
onset."
 Same damn point PCR or qPCR tells you with high probability that you are caring the virus.  This article says you can't compare viral culture sample results with PCR swab tests two different things.

How about you can only give it to someone if you have it, these test show with a high probability that you have been exposed / have the virus and this is the only test you have at your disposal.  What is the responsible thing to do when you have a positive result go to a rally, bike, clan or Trump, like Herman Cane.  Just waltz around saying I might not have it,  I think the Ct value was too high.  

On a weekly basis we are loosing a 9/11 quantity of Americans, when that happened did you consider there may have been some of those people that were about to die of other conditions or if there were better escape routes some of them wouldn't die.  So you cautioned folk not to blame the Muslim terrorist for all the carnage, the were other design issues responsible for some of the results.

Nice rant Al!  Can't have a discussion on a scientific issue without it turning political?  Testing has increased rapidly in the last few months with many "new" cases.  How many are actually active infections that are contagious versus remnants of a past infection that are not contagious?  Responsible personal management is certainly very different if someone is contagious or not contagious.  Agree?

Don't know, that will take more testing to determine.  We still don't test enough to contact trace let alone try and make the conclusions you are looking for.    And what are the tests that you propose to find this, how long is reasonable to wait for this type of test and are you proposing stop till we make that perfect test so we are not overeacting.  It's just another facet of the we are testing too much, that's my  frustration.

There probably isn't a test at this time but it would be a worthwhile effort to refine pcr to identify contagious versus non-contagious results.  Is the number of refinements of the sample a clue?  An active infection would be expected to yield more fragments than a past infection.  Perhaps some labs could do a test where they compare detection with varying number of refinements and then have tracking method of some sort to assess the risk of cases identified only with high number of refinements.

Right now we simply don't know if there is a relationship and all cases are assumed contagious requiring individuals to be quarantined.  I hope labs are conducting the tests to provide evidence and guidance for physicians.

It's also not a single contact exposure, you can get it from multiple sources to achieve the viral load to make you sick or a spreader. 
Till you have a know sample, the number of refinements means very little, all it reflects is the amount in the sample. To reiterate you can't compare viral culture sample results with PCR swab tests two different things.  One you are testing for the presences, in order to triage for isolation and the other you are watching multiply from a know quantified sample, a confirmed patient.  Now I am not the biologist and I am just repeating what I got from the discussion.  One is a binary result you have it you don't the other is a controlled assay.  PCR can provide a quantitative result but you need a controlled sample, something you don't get with the swab.  Pool testing is another good technique, used for quick results, put a bunch of swabs together in order to exclude groups.

Quote: @"SFVikeFan" said:
@"greediron" said:
https://www.amazon.com/Fishing-Dummies-P...2?dchild=1&keywords=fishing+for+idiots&qid=1599261638&sr=8-2
Isn’t this the part where you cry and complain about being unfairly attacked ... while you insult me?

I like how you do the same fucking thing to others that you complain about being done to you.

[Image: https%3A%2F%2Fthevikingage.com%2Fwp-cont...0x560.jpeg]