Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What do you think?
My kid wants to visit from LA...PRetty level headed and careful.

We're going to have them test before boarding a plane (4-5 days before it sounds like to get a result). 

Then isolate down as much as possible after testing. 

I'm wondering if I need to test them after they've flown here to mn? Isolate them after flying?

Delta only as they are not filling the planes..

They're not going to be here that long...4 days at a hotel will kill 1/2 their time. But we know we gotta be careful too. 

We are kind of at a disadvantage here.  My daughter, son in law and grandson are just completing a visit from Germany.  They have a good system for testing and contact tracing, so they were very sure of their health before they came.  They were going to fly American Airlines, but switched when they announced they were going to full booking.  My wife and I had quarantined, prior to their arrival, both can work from home and visit labs and offices on off hours, so we were "somewhat" certain of our situation. The lack of testing and being able to get results in a reasonable time, also the lack of discipline in our community, is the "somewhat" certainty.  The international terminal at O'Hare is isolated and off on it's own, that's where I picked them up at.
The US is a hot zone and they will be required to be tested at the airport, Frankfort, and will have results by the time they get home, he is a teacher and will have to isolate once he is at home for 14 day's before he can return to campus.

It's a crap shoot when traveling here, you just have to control the situation best you can and calculate probabilities of contact, because we have no tracing.

All I can say was I was more in control of the situation with them coming in from out of the country than I would feel for any domestic travel.

I do think you have to consider the state he is coming from and where he is going to. Obviously California and Minnesota are handling the situation in some similar ways. The testing and isolating is important, you are taking precautions. Also consider your health and your wife's health. Are there any underlying conditions that you should be concerned about? Definitely like the idea of a flight that is not full to capacity. Weigh your pros and cons. I know I am going to see my mom from time to time. We control who we are around before we go there and take precautions when we get there. Also are you going to spend more time outside versus inside? There's a lot to think about. I hope it works out for you and yours. I drove to see my mom, I am not flying anywhere anytime soon.

That's a tough one, PF. I spoke to my son last week about me coming into Denver and seeing him and his gf possibly and he's very mature about it. Said they aren't seeing anyone and that although he misses everyone, he's doing that for everyone including his gf's family who live in Kansas City. His gf's sister is getting married in November and they are going to attend it but that's the only exception. 

Just keep them isolated and you SHOULD be ok. Air travel is tricky. 

I'm with Sticky on this one,  air travel would be a last resort for me.  If they have so many extra days that they can isolate before and after their flights,  why not just drive it?  3 days seeing the country beats 4 days in isolation IMO.

LA to MN too far...Dont trust their truck that kinda distance either, 

Quote: @"purplefaithful" said:
LA to MN too far...Dont trust their truck that kinda distance either, 

Yeah rest stops are a concern.  My brother in-law from GA is using a fully contained RV to come up for hunting in October, some control of the situation there.  Perhaps a rental, is an option.

If I'm you, I tell them to come. I had several arguments supporting this but deleted them. It's all rationalization, calculation...bullshit. Bottom line: it's family. It's important. 

I have a good buddy who works in medical device field here in MN. He's got a good lens on this, much deeper perspective than I'll ever have. Good, level headed thinker. 

He's been in hospitals for his work quite a bit since the s hit hit the fan. He fly's now and then and has family visit from the west coast too.

He's been saying since April; wear a mask, wash, don't touch your f'ing face and you're probably going to be ok. 

I think my wife and I can find some peace with this:

Test before travel
isolate after test 
mask, gloves on plane
careful as f@$k when they are here

We'll pay a little more flying Delta as they aren't cramming people on planes like some others are.

Yah, that might be as peaceful as I can get with it...