Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shurmur says no limits on roles for Dalvin Cook and Latavius Murray
Vikings' Pat Shurmur says no limits on roles for Dalvin Cook and Latavius MurrayWhen asked if Murray, taller and heavier than Cook, would be more suitable for short-yardage situations, offensive coordinator Pat Shurmur dodged the labels.
Before seeing Latavius Murray play a game in a Vikings uniform, offensive coordinator Pat Shurmur says he’s not going to limit the veteran running back’s potential role in his offense.
The same goes for rookie Dalvin Cook. When asked if Murray, listed four inches taller and 17 pounds heavier than Cook, would be more suitable for short-yardage situations, Shurmur dodged the labels.
“I think they both can play on all three downs,” Shurmur said. “From a play calling standpoint, that gives you great flexibility. It doesn't matter who's in there.”
http://www.startribune.com/vikings-pat-s...441508133/

First play vs Seattle, Cook gives Cliff Avril a 3 yard piggyback ride...not saying the kid is Larry Csonka, but he's got some power...

I'm a bit surprised the coaches have so quickly moved McKinnon down to #3 and openly acknowledged he will be used little. Not arguing with it, but I figured they would pay lip service to the idea he was the veteran and incumbent starter for a while longer, at least to the point where Shurmur would have said something about using McKinnon. But we couldn't run the ball last year and the team brought in 2 options to improve on Jerrick, so it's good that they aren't being needlessly polite. 

Quote: @Jor-El said:
I'm a bit surprised the coaches have so quickly moved McKinnon down to #3 and openly acknowledged he will be used little. Not arguing with it, but I figured they would pay lip service to the idea he was the veteran and incumbent starter for a while longer, at least to the point where Shurmur would have said something about using McKinnon. But we couldn't run the ball last year and the team brought in 2 options to improve on Jerrick, so it's good that they aren't being needlessly polite. 
Here's what I've heard about McKinnon: talented athlete, fast and strong. Good hands. Versatile. But really lacks a RB's instincts. Leaves yards on the field constantly running the football. Takes the wrong lanes. 

Quote: @StickyBun said:
@Jor-El said:
Here's what I've heard about McKinnon: talented athlete, fast and strong. Good hands. Versatile. But really lacks a RB's instincts. Leaves yards on the field constantly running the football. Takes the wrong lanes. 
Jet's decent depth for this year...

most thought jet was picked a round too early, turns out 2-3 rounds early.  in Spiellly's defense, the rise of the wildcat made the pick look better at the time

it looks like his ceiling would be a 3rd down back, kick returner, however if Sticky's info is right-   he chooses the wrong lanes,  could explain why they havent used him as a KR.  
 What all this means is
that he's pretty much a failed pick and doesnt bring much value to the team

I still remember we passed up Devonta Freeman to take Jet (this is where we need the old bang-head emoticon)

Quote: @RS Express said:
I still remember we passed up Devonta Freeman to take Jet (this is where we need the old bang-head emoticon)
Well it kinda worked in our favor as we wouldn't have drafted Cook then. Cook IMO is a far better RB and he will prove that.