Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vikings tried to sign S Will Parks?

The Vikings tried, and failed, to sign Parks despite offering him more money than PhillyIt was just reported that the Minnesota Vikings (and Detroit Lions) made a strong push for strong safety Will Parks, which could be very telling regarding their plans for the other strong safety in the room, Anthony Harris. Harris, who was one of the biggest break out players in the NFL in 2019, has had a roller coaster of a ride of an off-season, going from being franchised, to being linked to different teams in trade rumors, to saying that he’d “… love to stay in Minnesota on a long-term deal”

Many in the fan community have debated whether or not trading Harris makes sense, as they could’ve theoretically let him walk at the start of free agency a la Trae Waynes or Mackenzie Alexander and potentially have received a third-round compensatory draft pick in the 2021 draft. Although that’s not a guarantee as the algorithm that the NFL uses to determine which teams get which of the finite number of picks is a closely guarded secret for some reason. It’s not the recipe for Coca-Cola, I doubt anyone out there is chomping at the bit to learn how the NFL determines it’s compensatory draft picks. Outside of stat-heads like the opposite of me.
With trade rumors (mainly with the Cleveland Browns) putting Harris’ trade value at or slightly above that third-round pick (with some saying that the Vikings want a second-rounder for Harris), it does make you wonder why the team went through the drama of franchising Harris in the first place, especially if they end up getting a third-rounder this off-season as opposed to next (that’s also assuming that the trade would be for a draft pick this off-season.
As you can see, it’s a lot to keep track of.
It’s also hard to really know what we may have learned from this move (or near move).
Was it done in case the Vikings couldn’t attract any other strong safety to the organization this off-season? With the team either cutting or losing to free agency an amazing amount of players by any standard, but especially when you compare it to the equally amazing amount of continuity this team and defense has had under head coach Mike Zimmer, it isn’t hard to imagine that the team has reached its limit in terms of the open positions that they’ll need to fill this off-season
https://vikingsterritory.com/2020/genera...ony-harris

Maybe just a depth signing with Sendejo to the Brownies...

Honestly, I don't think the Vikings look that attractive to free agents right now. Might appear like a rebuild from the outside looking in.

This Parks dude (assuming we would have traded Ant) would have had the opportunity to start here/compete to start here. It wouldn’t have been a bad gig for him. Everything I’ve read says he turned down more money from us (and the Lions, I’ll add) because he’s from Philly and this was his chance to go home and play for the home team.