Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Speaking of rookies who will start day 1...
Rookie Pat Elflein might have positioned himself to be the Vikings’ starting center.
Elflein got the nod in Friday night’s 20-13 preseason loss at Seattle, and played well. His competition for the job, Nick Easton, started at left guard in place of Alex Boone, out with a knee injury.
Easton started the Aug. 10 preseason opener at Buffalo. Elflein, though has been showing steady improvement.
“It was my first opportunity to get out there and start, so there was a little bit of nerves,’’ Elflein said. “But I feel like, if you prepare well during the week, which we take really seriously around here, then what do you have to be nervous about? Preparation wise, I felt good and ready to go.’’
http://www.twincities.com/2017/08/19/vik...-to-start/

Couple obvservations:

1. I like Rodney Adams as a receiver, but felt too many were dismissing his inability to hold onto the ball in college. He really struggled with that, and putting a guy like that at KR is dangerous. I say use Sherels. He's not going to make anyone forget Patterson, but he'll catch the ball, hold onto it and get the most of what's there. 

2. Vikings continue to acquire all of this great defensive line talent. Bower, Johnson and Odenigbo are just the latest. With all this talent, why do we seem to continue to struggle? I know they're not scheming anything, but is Zimmer's scheme that big a part of our success? On paper, this should be a top 5 defense; it's stacked with talent. But they can't seem to dominate outside of the scheme. 

3. I'd agree that Bucky Hodges probably moved ahead of Kyle Carter, but I'd also say that Taylor Heinicke may have closed the gap on Keenum. 

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
Couple obvservations:

1. I like Rodney Adams as a receiver, but felt too many were dismissing his inability to hold onto the ball in college. He really struggled with that, and putting a guy like that at KR is dangerous. I say use Sherels. He's not going to make anyone forget Patterson, but he'll catch the ball, hold onto it and get the most of what's there. 

2. Vikings continue to acquire all of this great defensive line talent. Bower, Johnson and Odenigbo are just the latest. With all this talent, why do we seem to continue to struggle? I know they're not scheming anything, but is Zimmer's scheme that big a part of our success? On paper, this should be a top 5 defense; it's stacked with talent. But they can't seem to dominate outside of the scheme. 

3. I'd agree that Bucky Hodges probably moved ahead of Kyle Carter, but I'd also say that Taylor Heinicke may have closed the gap on Keenum. 
I know its just pre-season, but that D hasn't dominated yet I agree...And I expected it and expected on the road too. I do get concerned the league has caught on to Zimmer's schemes

Thought Adams looked rather ordinary while Coley stood out to me.

Glad to see Elflein take control of the job.  We need to get our starters working together.

As to the defense, I am not worried about the D.  The thing about Zimmer, he probably has a new scheme for this season and we were going to show it in the preseason.  Seattle treats their preseason like a playoff game. 

Our offense walked down the field as well until we had penalties back us up.

Elflein might get the starting center job and Dalvin will most likely be the #1 RB.  After that I don't see any starting rookies.  I think Robinson will probably get the nod over Gedeonand Lamur.  KR, who knows...so far no one has looked too good from what I've seen so I guess it could be one of the rookies.

Adams doesn't look like anything special to me. He sure isn't a kick returner either. Be surprised if he makes the team. Shocked if Sherels doesn't return kicks, with Mckinnon giving him a break here and there.

Quote: @"eckman" said:
Adams doesn't look like anything special to me. He sure isn't a kick returner either. Be surprised if he makes the team. Shocked if Sherels doesn't return kicks, with Mckinnon giving him a break here and there.
Yep, I think it'll just end up being McKinnon back there as the main KR.

Quote: @"eckman" said:
Sounds much more likely.  That fumble was awful as well.  Must have the weakest hands in the NFL as that ball was barely touched.