Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone have this same nagging suspicion?
Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@"BarrNone55" said:
I'm seriously hoping that Love slides, the Colts come calling with the #34 and #44, and we solve all three problems before the third round starts. Gallimore, Cushenberry, and Terrell. 

BOOM!
I think Love goes in the top 10. Before Herbert. 
Probably. I think this QB is grossly overrated. I think four years from now, Hurts and Fromm might fare as well as any of the first 5.

Quote: @"BarrNone55" said:
@MaroonBells said:
@"BarrNone55" said:
I'm seriously hoping that Love slides, the Colts come calling with the #34 and #44, and we solve all three problems before the third round starts. Gallimore, Cushenberry, and Terrell. 

BOOM!
I think Love goes in the top 10. Before Herbert. 
Probably. I think this QB is grossly overrated. I think four years from now, Hurts and Fromm might fare as well as any of the first 5.
I think the right QB in the right system is priceless,  but its ignorant to think that a general ranking of incoming QBs should be the same for every team and every teams offense.

Quote: @MarkSP18 said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
Next week will be the most filling since between FA and the draft they have the ability to fill/re-fill most of the holes on the roster. People have a negative taste in their mouths from our performance against the 49ers, which almost every team reminisces on the final game of the season. But the reality is that most of the subtractions will happen on a defense that was inconsistent at best. 

The offense will be supplemented here or there but the performance last year should be expected this coming season. If you wanted to be more liberal you could call that the floor with an anticipated upgrade at LG. But like every other team you're hoping for some injury luck along the way. 

Defensively people are worked up about the secondary, but the larger issue still the run defense. It was marginally better in 2019 but still allowed too many 3rd and short situations. It indirectly made the secondary look worse at times (outside of the Dallas game). From what I know, they want to get better up front. They have a lot of faith in Mike Hughes & Holton Hill and you can see why. Doesn't mean they won't add at CB, but an improvement along the D-line, which was the initial approach when Zimmer was named coach probably makes the most sense. 

So in that long winded response, I don't think they will take a massive step back. But I also have a hard time seeing the step forward to be a true Super Bowl contender either. 
Do you think they will target players like Michael Pierce, Jordan Phillips, Danny Shelton, Andrew Billings, or the bigger ticket players like DJ Reader, Javon Hargrave, or Michael Brockers?

I think the first 3 could come in between 5 and 7 mil.
I doubt they are going to target any big ticket free agents. The biggest move they may make is resigning one of Waynes/Mac and Griffen.

Quote: @Tyr said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
Next week will be the most filling since between FA and the draft they have the ability to fill/re-fill most of the holes on the roster. People have a negative taste in their mouths from our performance against the 49ers, which almost every team reminisces on the final game of the season. But the reality is that most of the subtractions will happen on a defense that was inconsistent at best. 

The offense will be supplemented here or there but the performance last year should be expected this coming season. If you wanted to be more liberal you could call that the floor with an anticipated upgrade at LG. But like every other team you're hoping for some injury luck along the way. 

Defensively people are worked up about the secondary, but the larger issue still the run defense. It was marginally better in 2019 but still allowed too many 3rd and short situations. It indirectly made the secondary look worse at times (outside of the Dallas game). From what I know, they want to get better up front. They have a lot of faith in Mike Hughes & Holton Hill and you can see why. Doesn't mean they won't add at CB, but an improvement along the D-line, which was the initial approach when Zimmer was named coach probably makes the most sense. 

So in that long winded response, I don't think they will take a massive step back. But I also have a hard time seeing the step forward to be a true Super Bowl contender either. 
While I think that Hill is a decent player, I would have a hard time relying him because of his off the field issues. Though maybe the new CBA helps here. I am curious to see if they can retain Waynes, since it sounds like Alexander wants to test the market and we need some stability at corner.

I do worry about going back to Sendejo after Harris played so well. Sendejo is fine, but can be reckless at times.

DT was already a major need before releasing Joseph & now it is a critical need. We might be able to get away with Stephen for a year at NT, but it is bot ideal. Johnson has never established himself & Watts seems like a nice player to rotate in. We don’t seem to have anyone who can command double teams or consistently generate quick interior pressure. I’d like to see a FA plus a draft pick used on DTs.
The new CBA will definitely help a guy like Holton Hill on the field. I still think it leaves an off-field gap for these guys if you're truly worried about their overall wellbeing. But in an ideal world my belief is the Vikings want one of Waynes/Mac back and Zimmer eluded it at the combine. If the Vikings were to promise Mac they'd at least give him a shot to compete outside I could see him returning. With Hughes also an option in the slot it may make some sense. 

Sendejo would be brought back as insurance if a rookie couldn't start. He also would be a nice voice for a young player since he knows the system front and back. 

DT is the biggest question mark for me too. They need to get some type of an interior pass rush but think that may come in the draft. They really like Armon Watts and I personally thought he looked great before his injury in week 17. A rotation with Shamar likely holds down the nose. 

Diggs gone.Waynes, Rhodes, Joseph, Weatherly gone.
Griffin, Alexander, Bailey TBD.
Draft pending, we're replacing these guys with Bisi Johnson, Jaleel Johnson, Jalyn Holmes, Holton High, Mike Hughes, and who knows what else.
Getting younger is great, if the guys can play. Can any of these dudes? Healthy Hughes I think so, but the jury is still out on the rest.
We have a TON of holes. Fixing them with dudes who've barely seen the field and/or rookies who have never seen the field is a daunting task. It was always going to be this way this offseason, and it's why I and others advocated for a more aggressive rebuild.
But, the Vikings just re-signed Kirk for 3 (!) years and are supposedly in talks with extending Dalvin. I really worry this half-rebuild is a one-way ticket to purgatory for another 5 years. I hope we catch lightening in a bottle on Draft day and that I am WRONG.
EDIT: I hate to be negative-guy on the board. I love this board and I love the Vikings. I just am not sure about the direction they're taking right now. We went to the NFCCG and signed the top FA QB a couple years ago. I was so hopeful. Since then it's just been more of the same. It's deflating. The Vikings are good, and at least Rick's not out here making outright bone-headed moves like Houston, but it's hard not to want more. Also, a lot of this comes from the fact I have a ton of friends who are Chiefs fans Confused.