Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Post Mortem's are being written...
Quote: @"FSUVike" said:
@"Jor-El" said:
@"purplefaithful" said:
Vikings need to fix offensive line before they do anything else
Zimmer noted that a few young linemen basically “redshirted” this season, so perhaps viable upgrades exist internally.
http://www.startribune.com/vikings-need-...566955842/
So the team is already starting the narrative that Samia and Udoh - and nothing more unless maybe they find some "steal of the draft" guy in round 4 - will be our OL upgrades for 2020.
Always so negative. This could just as easily be early smoke signals to hopefully prevent a team from jumping in front of Minnesota to take an O-Lineman in the 1st or 2nd Round. 

You also need to factor in that Rick & Mike have 1 more year to get it right. IF, IF, IF they are really dumb enough to roll with Samia and Udoh as Starters then the season will be a bust and we can finally, collectively move on from them.

I am curious to see how those two develop with a 2nd offseason of Dennison & Kubiak. Would be nice is Samia could really push Kline and Udoh could displace Hill as the swing Tackle. 

Negative about the team's approach to the OL because I have seen them de-prioritize it 6 of the past 7 years - and the 1 year I am giving credit was this one, which amounted to Bradbury and Kline. Many of those years we have been steadily given comments from Spielman and Zimmer about how they want to help the line but no one seems to be available and on the other hand our poor defense was really stretched too thin and needs help, and by the time draft day arrives half the fans who were screaming at the TV begging their team to get some blockers have been brainwashed to say, "We really do need another corner".
Sure, I am curious to see how Samia and Udoh develop - just like I was curious (and hopeful!) to see Aviante Collins and Danny Isidora play in a ZBS system which seemed perfect for their abilities. And curious in past years to see if TJ Clemmings and Willie Beavers and even Tyrus Thompson might develop. But I thought those were all day 3 guys who should be considered depth or longshots to become starters. This team management considered them all, "justifications to spend draft picks or free agent money elsewhere".
And what makes you believe that, "Rick and Mike have 1 more year"? So they are going into the last year of their contracts - at the moment. The Wilfs gave him an extension last offseason so he wouldn't be coaching on the final year of his deal, I believe they have done that before, and would you be surprised if extensions are announced for either or both soon?
Fool me once, shame on you...you know the saying. Glad you're so optimistic.

I have to be optimistic. Otherwise why bother to root for any sports team? I don't get paid to cheer for Minnesota. Shit, I haven't even lived there since 1975. I'm a fan because it's fun. If it ever becomes the annual angst-fest that it appears to be for so many here I'll walk away. Because it's just sports.

Didn't watch a single Royals game cuz they stink. When Kansas City becomes relevant again I'll watch like I did during their Playoff seasons. But why make myself miserable watching a hopeless team?

The Vikings are rarely ever so bad that there's no point in watching a season unfold. Even FSU Football has gone in the gutter after 15 years of consistent good to great teams. And I tuned out once they did.

I'm getting too old to let Sports make me miserable. 

@"Jor-El" said:
@"purplefaithful" said:
Vikings need to fix offensive line before they do anything else
Zimmer noted that a few young linemen basically “redshirted” this season, so perhaps viable upgrades exist internally.
http://www.startribune.com/vikings-need-...566955842/
So the team is already starting the narrative that Samia and Udoh - and nothing more unless maybe they find some "steal of the draft" guy in round 4 - will be our OL upgrades for 2020.
Always so negative. This could just as easily be early smoke signals to hopefully prevent a team from jumping in front of Minnesota to take an O-Lineman in the 1st or 2nd Round. 

You also need to factor in that Rick & Mike have 1 more year to get it right. IF, IF, IF they are really dumb enough to roll with Samia and Udoh as Starters then the season will be a bust and we can finally, collectively move on from them.

I am curious to see how those two develop with a 2nd offseason of Dennison & Kubiak. Would be nice is Samia could really push Kline and Udoh could displace Hill as the swing Tackle. 
It would be dumb to approach the offseason counting on them to be starters, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if they did start. Both played well against the Bears starting defense.  

I have to be optimistic. Otherwise why bother to root for any sports team? I don't get paid to cheer for Minnesota. Shit, I haven't even lived there since 1975. I'm a fan because it's fun. If it ever becomes the annual angst-fest that it appears to be for so many here I'll walk away. Because it's just sports.

Didn't watch a single Royals game cuz they stink. When Kansas City becomes relevant again I'll watch like I did during their Playoff seasons. But why make myself miserable watching a hopeless team?

The Vikings are rarely ever so bad that there's no point in watching a season unfold. Even FSU Football has gone in the gutter after 15 years of consistent good to great teams. And I tuned out once they did.

I know I get negative too, hard not to. But I got the big 60 on the horizon...Losses still sting, but not like earlier in life. These guys are getting paid either way, I wont lose sleep over it. 

Agreed. I'm as fair-weather as they get now in all sports. Fuck that shit of feeling miserable over something I can't control. I paid my dues with emotional equity back in the day, done with that.