Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Payoff for Cousins
Quote: @"mblack" said:
@"Caactorvike" said:
The odds of us drafting a mid-to-late round franchise QB are extremely slim.  Don’t even bother.  We have other areas of need that are more pressing.  OL (above all) CB(a close second) and DL. We should focus on that. Extend and restructure Cousins, cut or trade XR, restructure EG and Reiff, draft a LG and LT (Reiff and Elf are now backups) sign Ant Harris long term.  I’m not sure what I would do with Rudy or Waynes.  Cut, trade or restructure. The following year we can worry about QB. Cousins is good, more mobile than some give him credit for, and with a better OL, he can deliver.  
At thw bold....
I am not listening to you. I WANT A FRANCHISE QB AND MODERN OFFENSE NEXT YEAR....HMMM! :angry:
LOL!  I’m with you on the that buddy!  I want one too.  I’m just afraid that we are wasting a pick at Rd 4 or 5 or 6 if we pick at QB there.  We are picking a back up QB there, unless lightening strikes. Tua at 25? I’d love that—but just don’t see him lasting until then

Quote:

At thw bold....
I am not listening to you. I WANT A FRANCHISE QB AND MODERN OFFENSE NEXT YEAR....HMMM! :angry:
I don't think we're going to see a modern offense while Zimmer is here...

I'm curious by what we define as "modern offense"

If we mean a QB that dodges traffic & jumps around trying to buy time - then chuck it 30 yards every time....
or has to run for his life to pick up first downs on every series........and hold your breathe every time he takes a hit.....
I'll pass (no pun intended)

Our QB, RBs, TE's, WRs are fine.

Here's what I want -  A dominant O line.  Win the trenches.  Mouth-breathing, knuckle dragging, silverbacks that will plow the road and open holes my grandmother could get through on her walker.  Nasty Mo-Fo's that can hit the second level... "Hey, We're opening the ONE HOLE...Try and stop us!"  "Hey...I'm pulling this time....better get the F outta my way or I'll take your head off!"   Pound the rock...chew the clock...win TOP....and rest your D.  On Pass Pro...give Cousins enough time to eat lunch, file his nails, look around, stand tall and fire.

Quote: @"Ilovebigtd's" said:
if tua falls to us, do we take him? 

He will be gone after 10 picks. Guaranteed!

Put Cousins on the bench and go get Tom Brady.

What the heck are the Vikings going to do with Cousins?
They need to decide now whether or not they want him after next season.
If they do, then extend his deal a few years.
If they don't, then...?

A. Draft a guy this year I guess and let Cousins go out there next year and ball out for a new deal on another team. Hopefully the new guy looks good in enough that you give him the keys in 2 years.

B. Don't draft a guy this year, and let Cousins play out the last year of his deal with no one remotely viable to step in after next season. This plan seems... not good.

C. Something I'm not thinking of.

So basically, if Cousins doesn't get extended then I think the Vikings HAVE to draft a QB this year. The only other option I see would be trading away players/picks from the current team and draft in order to load up on picks for 2021. Then you have the ammo to go up and get a guy. I don't fully hate this idea, but it carries a lot of risk because other GMs will know the Vikings NEED a QB next year, and will really fleece us with trade demands.

So basically, if Cousins doesn't get extended then I think the Vikings HAVE to draft a QB this year.
What's everyone else think?

i dont think they will extend Cousins unless it is a severe cap issue situation. i see them letting him play it out and if he wins a super bowl then pay him whatever.. i think they need to start looking ahead and that is the problem with this current set up, Zim and Rick will look short term.

i tell cousins agent that he isnt getting a new deal and that we are looking elsewhere for the future, and let them go drum up a trade that will work for the Vikings.  if nothing comes in then we have a guy that if hyper motivated playing for his next contract and if something does come in we are out from his cap concerns,  can focus on the future and maybe we suck into Trevor Lawrence.

Quote: @"kmillard" said:
i dont think they will extend Cousins unless it is a severe cap issue situation. i see them letting him play it out and if he wins a super bowl then pay him whatever.. i think they need to start looking ahead and that is the problem with this current set up, Zim and Rick will look short term.
I agree with everything you said, especially this last part. Despite the Vikings being in the playoffs just a few days ago, a strong case could be made that now is a good time for radical changes (though I don't see it happening).