Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Armon Watts
Armon Watts was a bulldozer in a field of boulders during a key play Monday night in Seattle. The Vikings rookie bench-pressed 299-pound Seahawks center Joey Hunt 4 yards into the backfield then jumped — perhaps unnecessarily for a 6-5 defensive tackle — to swat Russell Wilson’s pass backward.

http://www.startribune.com/armon-watts-v...565864462/

Zimmer: 'He's got a really good future'. 

He's got a Kevin Williams-type body. Long, but strong. Get him playing time the remainder of the year, put him at off-tackle, draft a big NT in the first 2 rounds and go with those guys in 2020 as starters. They'd save $10 million in cap money on Joseph's contract alone.

Watts doesn't have that explosive first step but he is relentless...you could play him on first and second and bring in Odenigbo in passing situations...

— The Vikings drafted Armon Watts with hopes he could be a development project. With the few opportunities he’s gotten due to injuries, the former Arkansas DT has been a noticeable presence. With Linval Joseph coming back quickly from injury, we may see more of Watts in the rotation.
“He’s really done a nice job in the run game,” defensive coordinator George Edwards said. “He’s done a nice job. He tipped a pass last week that ended up going for an interception, so he’s really shown an ability to be able to go and adjust and adapt to what it is we’re asking him to do. He’s been pretty successful with what we’re asking him to do.”

Quote: @"BarrNone55" said:
— The Vikings drafted Armon Watts with hopes he could be a development project. With the few opportunities he’s gotten due to injuries, the former Arkansas DT has been a noticeable presence. With Linval Joseph coming back quickly from injury, we may see more of Watts in the rotation.
“He’s really done a nice job in the run game,” defensive coordinator George Edwards said. “He’s done a nice job. He tipped a pass last week that ended up going for an interception, so he’s really shown an ability to be able to go and adjust and adapt to what it is we’re asking him to do. He’s been pretty successful with what we’re asking him to do.”
We seem to have a lot of late-round, high-upside guys on our 2nd line right now in Odenigbo, Weatherly, Watts, Hercules. Just not sure how much we can count on any of them starting down the road. Very possible, but not enough certainty to neglect DL in the draft. 

Weatherly might be able to start, but he seems to have taken a step back this year...Holmes has been invisible...in my mock I grab DTs in the 2nd and 3rd...

Quote: @"BarrNone55" said:
Weatherly might be able to start, but he seems to have taken a step back this year...Holmes has been invisible...in my mock I grab DTs in the 2nd and 3rd...
Holmes sat out against Seattle. Non-injury related. Not sure what that's about.