Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Could a team be 11-5 but still mediocre?
Believe, don't believe. Does it really matter? Sorry, I've just never bought into this "then I'll believe" stuff--the idea that if you beat this one team on this one day then it means something. Or if you lose to this one team on this one day then it means something else. Doesn't really mean anything. 

Vikings might lose to Seattle and they might even drop another one later on. Doesn't mean that the Vikings aren't still one of five teams in the NFC that can beat, or lose to, any of the other five in the playoffs.

According to a lot of posts on several message boards the Vikings could be 13-3 and SUCK!

Man, it is wide-open this year aint it?

Even with some of the heavy-weights in the NFC, the Vikings are in as much contention as the 5/6 others. 

Who stays healthy? Who gets hot? Who do the football gods smile on vs smite?

I'm just grateful to be 8/3 and have a legit shot.

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
Believe, don't believe. Does it really matter? Sorry, I've just never bought into this "then I'll believe" stuff--the idea that if you beat this one team on this one day then it means something. Or if you lose to this one team on this one day then it means something else. Doesn't really mean anything. 

Vikings might lose to Seattle and they might even drop another one later on. Doesn't mean that the Vikings aren't still one of five teams in the NFC that can beat, or lose to, any of the other five in the playoffs.

There are 10 teams with at least 8 victories already, so all could likely finish the regular season with 10+ wins. That many teams dilutes the achievement, and back to my OP I think the number of bad (or tanking) teams is a factor.
But as for certain wins having meaning: of those 10 teams with at least 8 victories, they may all have warts but most of them have beaten OTHER good teams. 8 of the "top ten" have defeated at least 1 of the others this year. The only ones who have not yet beaten another team with at least 8 wins are Minnesota and Buffalo.

Quote: @"Jor-El" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:

There are 10 teams with at least 8 victories already, so all could likely finish the regular season with 10+ wins. That many teams dilutes the achievement, and back to my OP I think the number of bad (or tanking) teams is a factor.
But as for certain wins having meaning: of those 10 teams with at least 8 victories, they may all have warts but most of them have beaten OTHER good teams. 8 of the "top ten" have defeated at least 1 of the others this year. The only ones who have not yet beaten another team with at least 8 wins are Minnesota and Buffalo.
I don't think that really means anything either. Teams are good and bad at different times of the year based on schedule, injuries match ups and a half dozen other things. At any given time, the best team in the NFL could be a .500 team.

What matters is winning as many games as possible, hopefully enough to make the playoffs, then getting hot, and getting healthy. There isn't a team in the NFL we can't beat. But I'd say the same thing about Buffalo...or the Titans...or the Steelers. I do wish I trusted our ability to game plan better though. And it does scare me that Thielen was ruled out so early, rather than have it be a game time decision. That doesn't bode well. 

I don't think we're mediocre.  I think we're good, but we're certainly not in the category of teams that have a good chance to go to the SB.  I think we have a good chance of beating any of the top teams, but I don't like our chances to win 3 road games in a row against playoff caliber teams to get to the SB.  We need to be markedly better than what we've shown in any of our games so far, and we need to do that 3 games in a row at this point.  Our best chance is for us to somehow beat GB for the division and get at least one home game.  Our chances of winning are much better at home.