Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Misc. Thoughts: Cowboys

• 4th Down Touchdown:  Here is a question -- the Vikings went for it on 4th down resulting in a touchdown -- how do you weigh that decision between the Vikes being aggressive on offense and having faith on offense v. not having faith in the defense to hold onto a two point lead in they kicked the field goal?  Personally, I think the decision was 40% offense having an aggressive mind set and 60% believing that the defense couldn't make a 2 point lead hold up.
  • Play Calling:  I think it has been pointed out a few times how much better the offensive play calling was in this game as opposed to the Chiefs game.  
  • Depth:  The Vikes have great depth across the defensive line and it really shows up in the 4th quarter when other defensive lines start to wilt.  All game we were hearing about how good the Cowboys dline was playing but then the Vikes had that 3rd quarter drive with 10 straight runs.  They wore down because they do not have the depth of the Vikes.  Reminds me of the Redskins game; after that game I wrote this: "To me, what I will take from the [Redskin] game is the last drive.  The Vikings said we are going to run the ball and they imposed their will on the Redskins.  16 plays, 8 minutes and 10 seconds off the clock.  Overcame 15 yards of penalties.  All runs."  The Vikes are incredibly deep on the dline and it shows up late in close games.
  • Bye Week:  I like that the Vikes have a late bye week not only for injured players to return but also for Zimm to have a chance to tweak his DB schemes and rotations.  Obviously there is too much physical talent.
  • Vikes Kryptonite:  The best way to limit the Vikes offense is a great DT --the Vikes interior line is the true weakness on the team.  Here is SI's list of the 10 best DT in football this year:
Quote:1. Aaron Donald, L.A. Rams, 80 points (3 first-place votes)
Quote:2. Fletcher Cox, Philadelphia, 76
Quote:3. Akiem Hicks, Chicago, 71
Quote:4. Chris Jones, Kansas City, 69
Quote:5. Grady Jarrett, Atlanta, 62
Quote:6. Geno Atkins, Cincinnati, 57
Quote:7. Cameron Heyward, Pittsburgh, 50
Quote:(tie)8. DeForest Buckner, San Francisco, 49
Quote:(tie)8. Kenny Clark, Green Bay, 49
Quote:10. Jurrell Casey, Tennessee, 42
Quote:The Vikes three losses have been to the Packers (Clark), Chicago (Hicks) and Kansas City (Jones).  Six more games and they only revisit Hicks and Clark of the top ten DTs.
  • PFF:  Here is a favorite topic, profootballfocus.  From an article on the Daily Norseman citing PFF: "On the bottom side of the scale, Brian O’Neill and Irv Smith Jr. were the lowest graded starters on offense, while Mike HughesJaleel Johnson, and Xavier Rhodes were the lowest graded starters on defense."  I find it hard to believe that O'Neill and Smith were the lowest graded starters on offense.

O'Neill had a rough day with Lawrence across from him.  He made quite a few plays, hit Cousin's arm on the one throw they somehow initially ruled a fumble.
I thought Jaleel played well, but at NT, but what does PFF know about interior line play.
On the 4th down touchdown, I think it was all about the flow of the game.  We were pounding the rock and I don't think they gave any indication they could stop us on 4 tries from inside the 10.  (I think we were at the 1/2 yard line, then had a false start, back to the 5 and 3 runs got us to the 1 again.   Ham's run looked bad as that side got caved in.  Then we went back to the outside zone on 4th where nobody had the speed to stop Cook.