Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Credit where it's Due
I ripped the Coaching Staff last week for a baffling game plan and utter lack of in-game adjustments.  Only doubled Chris Jones 15 times when he's the 2nd best DT in the League? Zone Coverage instead  of man and failing to double team Kelce/Hill when every team that has beaten the Chiefs used that strategy?  Only 7 blitzes against a journeyman backup QB? Inexcusable.

But that was a great job by the Coaches in Dallas. Smith was all over the place. Lots of A Gap looks. Some unique D-Line alignments I hadn't seen before. And Zimmer actually trusted his CBs to play Man Coverage. 

Yes, it was risky. Yes, Hughes got picked on. Yes, most of the blitzes didn't get home. But he was taking chances instead of playing porous zone and only rushing four. Which would have allowed Elliott to get going and made them a nightmare to Defend.

And kudos to Stefanski as well. Loved that 2nd half adjustment that had the FB blocking on the edges instead of up the gut. And calling like 10 straight run plays takes guts and discipline. Most OCs wouldn't have been able to resist the temptation to go Play Action and try for a chunk play.

But the thing that stood out the most to me was the 2 minute drill to end the 1st Half. All Shotgun looks getting one 5 yard completion after another until the shot to Diggs. When was the last time we saw Minnesota run the hurry-up? Or go all Shotgun and spread teams out?

Every other Superbowl it seems like NE comes out and throws 50 passes to a RB for 5 yard gains in the middle of the field. And it works. Stefanski was using TEs and WRs instead but it worked. Dallas was playing off to prevent a deep pass before the half. So take what they're giving. Yes, that last throw instead of chucking into the endzone was a head scratcher. But damn it's nice to see Minnesota use the same hurry up that the other 31 teams use.

The real question for me is whether Zimmer & Stefanski will continue to come up with such effective gameplans going forward or will it be back to the vanilla bullshit that handed the Chiefs a victory. Aggressive Coaching can take this team all the way in a year with many good teams but no truly dominant ones. Aggressive Coaching. 

And I actually think Hughes did all right in an absolute trial-by-fire. Hill contributed too. Some of those catches were straight up indefensible. 

I will second that.

Two thoughts. Can you expound upon the unique D-line alignments?  Really curious as to what you saw.  Reason being, on the 90+ yard TD at KC last week, Zimmer took the blame for having the wrong alignment.  Said they were trying something, seems like they knew that play was coming but his scheme didn't work.  On that play, Hunter got completely washed inside.  He was blocked all the way to the middle which really struck me as odd.
Second, the vikings have gone up tempo before this season.  Shurmur did it well and Stef has used it on occasion.  I really like it because I think it keeps the QB from overthinking.  Gets them in a rhythm and the D is on its heels.  Doesn't work constantly, but using it occasionally can catch a D off balance.

Oh and on Hughes, I thought he played pretty well.  I think some of those catches were so crazy he thought the play was done.  And on the TD, Cooper definitely pushed off to create that separation.

Agree with all of that FSUVike. I guess I put it more simply: Zimmer is able to out-coach the Jason Garretts of the NFL but gets out-coached by the Andy Reids of the NFL.
The adjustment with CJ Ham in the second half was great. Going for it on 4th and goal was the right call.  I thought the whole KC game was a shit show of poor coaching.  I still think losing to the Chiefs without Mahomes (while trailing GB by one game) will come back to bite us later this year.  On the other side of the field Reid held Diggs to 4 yards with AT missing. That's coaching.

Good post, but honestly Jason Garrett is incredibly conservative and he limited the team. But I liked the game plan that Minnesota employed. A road win against a team with talent I'll always take. 

I chuckled because I didn't realize it until the celebration: the TD to Rudolph where he made the amazing catch? There was a FB (Ham) and 3 TEs in on that play (Rudolph, Smith Jr and Conklin). The Cowboys were fooled. Cousins was so open when he rolled out, he might have been able to run it in but he wisely pulled up as the LB had to come up and commit to him and threw. 

It was a job well done. Jason Garrett is more conservative than Zimmer. I don't know how he still has a job. The run defense stepped up. It was interesting to see what would happen with certain players being out. Cousins scanned the field of options more. Of course Dalvin made his impact felt. The hurry up definitely serves Cousins well. Yeah I was baffled by the Chiefs game but glad to see them rebound in prime time. Stefanski did what he could and it worked. Zeke went home hungry. Of course Cooper got a lot of balls his way which is to be expected. They responded well when the Cowboys scored. I hope the creativity continues.

Great coaching in Dallas. I favor the hurry up offense early, to prevent substitution and set up the run in the 4th quarter by gassing the defense.

Kubiak left the Broncos in 2016. He may not know the team but he knows some of the players. 

My guess is Stef will have an edge in his play calling  as a result.

Quote: @Mattyman said:
Kubiak left the Broncos in 2016. He may not know the team but he knows some of the players. 

I'm pretty sure he left the Broncos when Fangio was hired this season.

Quote: @Wetlander said:
@Mattyman said:

I'm pretty sure he left the Broncos when Fangio was hired this season.
https://1043thefan.com/2084562/gary-kubiak-has-a-point-to-make-on-sunday-against-the-broncos/

Correct.  

I'm fine with vanilla against bad teams. Don't want to get too much tape of all the wrinkles out there. Can't turtle up on the road at Seattle, though.

This team has struggled mightily after layoffs under Zimmer. Would live to see that change.