Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mattison continues to impress...
I think he's Vikings ROY to-date..

https://twitter.com/AroundTheNFL/status/...0510576645

The Vikings became so simplistic at one point in the third quarter that they actually ran the ball on 10 consecutive plays before Cook scored on a 2-yard run to give them a 28-21 lead. "That's what it looks like right there," said Cook, who finished with 97 rushing yards, 86 receiving yards and one touchdown on the ground. "That's the blueprint: Physical football, downhill (and) let's get the job done. We've got some guys up front that can move some people. That's the moving crew right there. Once they are going, they're going. You can sense the look in their eyes when they're ready to get the job done. I could see that look in their eyes tonight."
This probably isn't the offense the Vikings envisioned when they signed Cousins to a fully guaranteed $84 million deal in 2018 and added him to a passing attack that featured two dynamic receivers in Stefon Diggs and Adam Thielen. However, it is the type of offense that makes the most sense for them this year. Minnesota came into this contest with a running game that ranked third in the NFL (with an average of 153 yards per game). Cook was leading the NFL in rushing while also establishing himself as one of the best all-around backs in football.
There's no question the Vikings had some disturbing moments earlier this season, back when Cousins was struggling and Diggs was pouting about the offense's lack of punch. Minnesota then found a nice groove in their passing attack -- with Cousins going on a four-game stretch that saw him throw 10 touchdowns passes and one interception while averaging 315.5 passing yards -- and it felt like the Vikings were hitting their stride. The reality is that everything the Vikings do well revolves around what happens in their run game. "It just breaks your will," said Vikings head coach Mike Zimmer. "That's the one thing about football -- it's a tough sport and if you allow people to run the football against you, then it really deflates you."
"I haven't played with a team in the NFL that does this," said Cousins, who finished with 220 yards and two touchdowns on 23-of-32 passing. "I've never been able to run the ball that well or been a part of running it that well. It's new to me. But when you get people on their heels -- where they're a little bit tired or worn down -- you can keep going and keep plugging.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001...witter_atn

Following the game, Cousins acknowledged that this victory -- which improved the Vikings to 7-3 -- was as important as any this team has had all season. "This was a big win," Cousins said. "I'd like to think it will help spur us on to the next one, but it really doesn't work that way. You have to take them each in their own isolated challenge. But this was a big win on the road, to beat a good football team, especially after last week's tough loss. It showed a lot of character but we have to keep playing well and turn it into something as we go."
The Vikings now find themselves in a pretty advantageous situation. Four of their final six games are at home and they'll have three more games against every team in the NFC North. For a team that is just one game behind the Green Bay Packers in the race for the division crown, that's a promising situation. The Vikings will have every opportunity to achieve all the goals they've set for themselves.

Definitely an off-script win for the Vikings. 

Mattison has been huge for us this year, he has given us a big boost at many pivotal points.  I would like to see him get more touches.  Last week in KC, I thought we missed an opportunity by not pounding the ball up the middle with him.  He is so talented that I wonder if he will be satisfied with being a #2 down the road as he continues to improve.  

I get Cook is a special player and better than Mattison.

Because they can both run, catch  there's not much difference in what the offense can do with either of them in the backfield. 

Hard for an opposing defensive coordinator to scheme against a tendency or weakness because there isn't one. 

No defense wants to deal with a RB  in the 4th quarter that is fresh, wired and looking to dish out contact.  

Cook is pretty powerful especially for being so elusive.  But Mattison seems like a bull.  And he has some elusiveness, too.  There is not much of a dropoff when Cook is getting a breather.