Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Yet Another Sign of an Impending Apocalypse?
Quote: @Ralphie said:
@purplefaithful said:
Too bad the Bolts couldn't have stayed in SD...

I can see where an owners ego might be allured to be the only NFL team in a country.

Not sure how well you'd be able to lure free agents...
And Jacksonville to Mexico City?  
I really think the Jags will end up in London if anyone goes there.

Chargers owner Dean Spanos on his team potentially moving to London: “It’s total f—kin bullshit. We’re not going to London. We’re not going anywhere. We’re playing in Los Angeles. This is our home, and this is where we are planning to be for a long f—king time. Period.”

Quote: @Ralphie said:
@comet52 said:
I hate to mention him but Florio did point out a couple obvious things - Jacksonville has a right of first refusal on a move to London which they'd have to give up.   And San Diego has a 20 year lease in the new stadium that Kroenke built out of pocket and I doubt he wants to give up that revenue at this point.    It seems like some sort of smoke screen but really for who and are they fooled by it when it makes no sense?
Which may explain why the Jags have played 7 games there, two more than the next team, the Raiders.

But I do not doubt the veracity of any NFL move to Europe.  They have a capped product here in America, with a stagnant fan base and fewer and fewer kids playing the sport.  Millennials care less about team sports, especially "violent" ones.  More ex-NFL players are saying they wouldn't want their kids to play football.  And we haven't seen the end to the concussion/brain damage fallout.

Look at the number of London games.  It used to be a novelty...now they are ingrained in the schedule like those ridiculous Thursday night games.

There's gold in them thar' foreign cities, pardner! Wink
They could just try to improve the product.  That might bring some (US) fans back.

PS: The Chargers should've stayed in San Diego.  The NFL is stupid for allowing / supporting that move.

Quote: @pumpf said:
PS: The Chargers should've stayed in San Diego.  The NFL is stupid for allowing / supporting that move.
Especially to southern CA, a notoriously poor place to support one football team, let alone two.  Folks, the NFL is tapped out on new growth stateside.  As I posted earlier, this whole Chargers-on-the-move may be nothing more than heat to get Jacksonville to wake up.  Their owner already owns a London soccer team, so this would fit nicely.  Clearly FL won't miss them.