Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do you still believe Zimmer has an Elite D?
On the 2nd to last play of the game, right before the FG, it was 3rd and 4 or something. Instead of jamming them, we played off, and they got an easy completion for another 8-9 yards to move the FG from 50+ to 44 yds.
The defense does this a LOT, even in critical situations like this. It's maddening.

I lost faith in Zimmer and the defense in the 2017 playoffs and haven't seen anything consistent since to have any hope that the Vikings are anywhere near elite

not to pile on... but does Zimmers ever get it right with his last second timeouts?  I know he has taken them and the kicker has missed the kick only to turn around and make the retry.  he has killed other promising plays in critical situations with that technique as well,  does anybody remember him actually getting one in and it looked like he saved the play?  I am sure it has happened but yesterdays timeout as the sack was pretty imminent seemed really familiar.

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
not to pile on... but does Zimmers ever get it right with his last second timeouts?  I know he has taken them and the kicker has missed the kick only to turn around and make the retry.  he has killed other promising plays in critical situations with that technique as well,  does anybody remember him actually getting one in and it looked like he saved the play?  I am sure it has happened but yesterdays timeout as the sack was pretty imminent seemed really familiar.
See also: challenges. I have no idea what the actual % is but it feels like we lose way more challenges than we win. I know we've lost 2 in the past 2 weeks.
Even yesterday on the first drive the refs gave us a first down on an obviously generous spot. Our offense dilly dallied and Reid had time to challenge. It's hard to see from on the field but how do we not have eyes in the sky yelling at Zim to call anything just do it FAST.
Things like timeouts and challenges I think Zimmer has gotten better at over the years but he has not improved to the level I'd personally like. But who am I haha.
These things don't make him a bad coach-- far from it-- but just like Reid has a reputation for being a great coach with bad clock management skills, I think bad challenges and timeout usage are tied up in Zimmer's rep as well.
Now... what were talking about again? Defenses? Ha

It doesn't matter if it's elite or not. Is it good enough to win a Super Bowl? Yeah, I'd say so. Need good performances everywhere else though. It's not '85 Bears or 2000 Ravens dominant obviously.