Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GMFB: 'Cousins has turned a corner for real'
Quote: @CLOBIMON said:
I was just taking a look at some interesting statistical comparisons between Cousins and the Vikings short-term quarterbacks that had "some success" and people remember them playing okay to pretty good...

Cousins so far:
23 games (13-9-1): 6,009 yards (261.3/game), 70.1%, 43 tds - 13 ints, 103.2 rating (current rating is #1 for their franchise starting qbs)
----
Favre:
29 games (17-12): 6,711 (231.4/game), 65.2%, 44 tds - 26 ints, 92.2 rating

Cunningham:
'27' games (16-7): 5,680 (210.4/game), 59.9%, 48 tds - 23 ints, 94.2 rating

Moon:
39 games (21-18): 10,102 (259/game), 60.7%, 58 tds - 42 ints, 82.8 rating

Bridgewater:
'30' games (17-11): 6,150 (205/game), 64.7%, 28 tds - 22 ints, 86.3 rating

Bradford/Keenum combined:
32 games (20-11): 7,806 (243.9/game), 69.9%, 45 tds - 12 ints, ~100

Make of this what you will but Kirk is producing better or on pace to produce better than all of the former "best" short-term qbs the Vikings have had. 
What I find interesting is how the narrative surrounding Cousins keeps changing. It's dizzying. He had a poor end to last season and a slow start to this season. After that, you could find many fans and media who thought he thought he should be benched, that he was now the crap QB who was inaccurate in Green Bay and Chicago and the Vikings threw away $84M. But it was just wrong, because inaccuracy was never part of who he was, even when he was bad. 

And so when he bounced back a few games, you started to hear this narrative that's he's "turned a corner." That he's "never" played this well before. Well, no, that's not true either. Early last season Cousins was lights out. Just spectacular. The narrative, for a few weeks anyway, was that the Vikings got their money's worth. Nobody seems to remember that. 

And so yeah, I love what he's doing now and I think there's a decent chance it continues, even against good teams. Because A. He's a deadly accurate QB, who thrives in play action. B. He's got one of the best running games in the NFL to support play action. And C. He's getting some improved play from his offensive line. 

But I'm still cautious because we HAVE seen it before. There is one narrative that he still needs to conquer. I think the national TV thing is mostly bullshit, but how he plays against good defenses is still very much in question. I think Brandt is right. That night game in Dallas could exorcise a lot of demons for Kirk...not to mention a few Viking fans. 

"Alex, I'll take things I want to believe for $500"

Sunday night in Big D...Big game, time for the Vikings to shine the next 2 national coverages. 

=)

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@CLOBIMON said:
I was just taking a look at some interesting statistical comparisons between Cousins and the Vikings short-term quarterbacks that had "some success" and people remember them playing okay to pretty good...

Cousins so far:
23 games (13-9-1): 6,009 yards (261.3/game), 70.1%, 43 tds - 13 ints, 103.2 rating (current rating is #1 for their franchise starting qbs)
----
Favre:
29 games (17-12): 6,711 (231.4/game), 65.2%, 44 tds - 26 ints, 92.2 rating

Cunningham:
'27' games (16-7): 5,680 (210.4/game), 59.9%, 48 tds - 23 ints, 94.2 rating

Moon:
39 games (21-18): 10,102 (259/game), 60.7%, 58 tds - 42 ints, 82.8 rating

Bridgewater:
'30' games (17-11): 6,150 (205/game), 64.7%, 28 tds - 22 ints, 86.3 rating

Bradford/Keenum combined:
32 games (20-11): 7,806 (243.9/game), 69.9%, 45 tds - 12 ints, ~100

Make of this what you will but Kirk is producing better or on pace to produce better than all of the former "best" short-term qbs the Vikings have had. 
What I find interesting is how the narrative surrounding Cousins keeps changing. It's dizzying. He had a poor end to last season and a slow start to this season. After that, you could find many fans and media who thought he thought he should be benched, that he was now the crap QB who was inaccurate in Green Bay and Chicago and the Vikings threw away $84M. But it was just wrong, because inaccuracy was never part of who he was, even when he was bad. 

And so when he bounced back a few games, you started to hear this narrative that's he's "turned a corner." That he's "never" played this well before. Well, no, that's not true either. Early last season Cousins was lights out. Just spectacular. The narrative, for a few weeks anyway, was that the Vikings got their money's worth. Nobody seems to remember that. 

From what I read, Cousins was tearing it up in 2018 until the Jets doubled Thielen and Diggs. The Vikings won the game but every opponent that followed did the same thing.

With no Cook and no legitimate #3 option the Vikings offense couldn't beat that scheme.

The Vikings drafted 3 offensive players with their first 3 picks, and all of them have contributed.

And you are right a lot of talking heads are having to walk back their criticism of Cousins after what he's done the last 3 weeks. No one saw that coming.

Here's PFT's humble pie segment

http://https//www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-xryiL8UOQ

As far as if this whole Cousins/Vikings/Offense thing is legit or is it smoke and mirrors against bad teams?

Cook's legit. Add Mattison and thats 2 RB's that can run, catch and block. . The offense can create  personnel match up problems for opposing defenses. 

IMHO this is the point in the season where new coaching starts to show up. Adjustments, improved techniques, play-calling that is unpredictable etc/

And lastly, someone brought up in another thread, this Viking offense has shown the ability to go counter to their tendencies at any time. Really hard for defenses to be able to defend against that.

I hope it continues tonight. Cousins has a chance to again,  to make some analysts reconsider their critique of him. Best of luck to him!!