Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Win in Detroit shows Stefanski has found the Vikings’ offensive identity
Was that Kevin Stefanski on the sideline or Pat Shurmur?
In 2017, the Minnesota Vikings were forced into using backup quarterback Case Keenum for the majority of the season and they still posted the 10th most points in the NFL. Why? The unstoppable combination of talented playmakers and a play caller who was in tune with all the talents of those playmakers.
In Sunday’s 42-30 win over the Detroit Lions at Ford Field, the Vikings’ first-year play caller was in perfect rhythm with quarterback Kirk Cousins and his gifted group of weapons — even without Adam Thielen for the majority of the game.
The Vikings put up 503 total yards with 337 coming through the air and running back Dalvin Cook taking care of the rest. They averaged 7.1 yards per play (league average is 5.6) and went 6-for-10 on third down. In ’17 Shurmur-like fashion, Stefanski got everyone who was healthy involved. Three running backs carried the ball and seven players made catches.
“We’re running the ball, play-action pass, converting on third downs, pocket’s been clean, offensive line has been playing with great intensity, we just keep trying to get better every day,” head coach Mike Zimmer said.
Over the past three weeks, Cousins has looked much more like the quarterback who ascended to the top 10 in 2016 in both traditional stats like yards, yards per attempt and touchdowns and tracking data from Pro Football Focus. Since struggling in a loss against Chicago, he has three straight games with QB ratings over 135 — the first time in his career to do so. His 141.4 rating on Sunday was the sixth highest of his career.
“He’s playing the best I’ve seen him play since he’s been here, obviously,” Zimmer said. “It’s a credit to him, it’s a credit to offensive coaches, what they are doing and I feel like we are playing to his strength.
https://www.skornorth.com/vikings-2/2019...-identity/

Comparing Stef to Shurmur is high praise, and well deserved. Stefanski has been calling great games the past few weeks. Let's hope the defense can get it's act together.

Balance is the key. I'm still convinced that pick in Green Bay was the right call--an attempt to achieve balance after running all day, to appear more unpredictable to future opponents. Cousins blew it by not throwing it away, but that kind of balance and unpredictability (like the Diggs throw in 3rd and short yesterday) is going to serve us well in the future. 

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
Balance is the key. I'm still convinced that pick in Green Bay was the right call--an attempt to achieve balance after running all day, to appear more unpredictable to future opponents. Cousins blew it by not throwing it away, but that kind of balance and unpredictability (like the Diggs throw in 3rd and short yesterday) is going to serve us well in the future. 
That throw to Diggs was the perfect call.  And I agree with the call in GB, just not the execution.
It seems the bootleg to the left side has become the favored option since then.

I think the Chicago game was a wake-up call, not only for Cousins but for Stefanski and Zimmer. Zimmer set the tone early about wanting to be a running team. Then came the Atlanta game where we threw 10 passes.

That works against bad defenses. Thielen spoke up after the disastrous Chicago game. (Diggs did, too, in a more panicky, divisive way.) Cousins took the brunt of it, but Stefanski responded with a more aggressive offensive game plan. Zimmer saw that passing actually helps the run game, helps with ball control, and helps with time of possession.  

Now we can all agree - this is what we wanted all along. .... Just need to make sure the defense holds up its end of the deal.

Using the pass to set-up the run. Welcome to how you need to win in todays nfl.

IMO KS is using the pass to set-up the magnificent Dalvin Cook and then running well with the OZBS. 

Its as close to perfection that I've seen on offense here since Shurmur. 

Before 2017 how far back would we need to go? Favre? I hope they can keep it up all year, on the road, against good defenses. It will need to have wrinkles added to it along the way. Teams are too good at preparation and film study, analytics. 

Stefanski has done really well but I think it's too soon to compare him to Shurmur - and unfair. Shurmur managed 2017 with McKinnon and Murray at RB - both good backs, but neither comparable to Cook and I'm not sure either matches Mattison's all-around skillset. Both teams have Diggs, Thielen, and Rudolph, but it already looks like Smith+Johnson will easily exceed the production of Treadwell+Wright. Then there is Cousins vs. Keenum - Kirk has disappointing days, but I still think his talent easily exceeds Keenum's.
It's not really a knock against Stefanski, more that I am still astounded at what Shurmur achieved in 2017 with little more than 2 great WRs.

Quote: @"purplefaithful" said:

IMO KS is using the pass to set-up the magnificent Dalvin Cook and then running well with the OZBS. 

Before 2017 how far back would we need to go? Favre? I hope they can keep it up all year, on the road, against good defenses. It will need to have wrinkles added to it along the way. Teams are too good at preparation and film study, analytics. 
IMO that is already happening.

CJ Ham   catching a wide open TD  off an under  drag route  in the RZ  showed a wrinkle I hadn't seen.   

If ya watch the highlight again, look at how hard the Dline and CB bit on the play action.

Add  unpredictable play calling, This team is fun to watch.   

Quote: @"Mattyman" said:
@"purplefaithful" said:

IMO that is already happening.

CJ Ham   catching a wide open TD  off an under  drag route  in the RZ  showed a wrinkle I hadn't seen.   

If ya watch the highlight again, look at how hard the Dline and CB bit on the play action.

Add  unpredictable play calling, This team is fun to watch.   
And that bomb to Diggs is gonna give the defensive coaches nightmares.  Our offense can go against its own tendencies at any moment.
I like the throwing on 1st down as well, the defense has to defend all the field, and with our playmakers, that is difficult.  Like the shot play last week of Diggs's second TD.  1st down, 1st play of the drive and we go deep.  There is a reason teams are still biting on the play action, cuz on 1st down, that is what the D is expecting, a run.

Quote:
And that bomb to Diggs is gonna give the defensive coaches nightmares.  Our offense can go against its own tendencies at any moment.
 Great point.

In doing so that has to unnerve opposing D coordinators and players.