Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Preseason, so far
It is preseason and the Vikings are playing uninspired football.

The real question is whether they have the capability! 

The broadcast of the local team on the Denver-Chicago game had me wanting to put my head in the oven: brutal. Especially the color commentary. 

I would say uninspired is the right word for it.

Or maybe we're just not that good (on offense)?

Quote: @"pumpf" said:
Correct, we're not that good on offense. Look at all of the contenders in the NFC we have to beat. Eli/Giants; Prescott/Cowboys; Newton/Carolina; Ryan/Atlanta; Winston/TB; Wilson/Seattle; Palmer/Arizona; Stafford/Detroit; and Rogers/Pack. All of those teams have better passing attacks than we do. Some are elite. This is a passing league and our offense is designed around a run first approach with a crappy line and a dink and dunk passing game. Our defense will keep us in games but we can't outscore the better teams in the NFC. I think we are 1-2 wins better than last year and miss the playoffs again. 

Or some times you just come out flat (yes - I know that uninspired is another way to put it) - It just happens. Next game they could light it up. To early to come to drastic conclusions of how our Offense is going to perform for the season. Many a great team has had shitty preseasons. Denny Green had a great Pre season record but then failed in the season. Have to let this play out and hope for no major injuries. Also - this O line needs a lot more time together. New guys at three positions on the field. Did not even have the starter at Left Tackle playing. 

Quote: @"TBro" said:
@"pumpf" said:
Correct, we're not that good on offense. Look at all of the contenders in the NFC we have to beat. Eli/Giants; Prescott/Cowboys; Newton/Carolina; Ryan/Atlanta; Winston/TB; Wilson/Seattle; Palmer/Arizona; Stafford/Detroit; and Rogers/Pack. All of those teams have better passing attacks than we do. Some are elite. This is a passing league and our offense is designed around a run first approach with a crappy line and a dink and dunk passing game. Our defense will keep us in games but we can't outscore the better teams in the NFC. I think we are 1-2 wins better than last year and miss the playoffs again. 
I think our offense will be better this year and that alone will account for 1-2 wins,  but the offense being able to control the ball a bit more will help with the defense getting gassed so much which IMO will add another 1-2 wins itself.  I put the floor on wins at about 10 unless the wheels really come off.  with the exception of the Cowboys last year 10 wins was the tops for any other NFC playoff team.  10 wins is the expectation,  but more is realistic.

The starting offensive line is likely to be different when the season starts, but they were supposed to be strong run blockers and there was little evidence of that last night. 

Quote: @"jargomcfargo" said:
The starting offensive line is likely to be different when the season starts, but they were supposed to be strong run blockers and there was little evidence of that last night. 
I dont think anybody is going to just road grade the Bills Dline,  they are a pretty good group there.  IIRC the starters were picking up over 3 yards per carry when they were in there so I am not really disappointed with their first effort,  it was the pass pro that had me concerned as there were a few times that there was absolutely no block made.