Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Capt'n talks about Doctson
If last year is any indication, new Vikings receiver Josh Doctson can be of use to former Washington Redskins teammate Kirk Cousins as soon as Sunday’s season opener against the Falcons.
“It can be done,” Cousins, the Vikings quarterback, said Wednesday, two days after the Vikings signed Doctson.
“Aldrick Robinson came in [before Week 3 last year] and contributed right away.”
Robinson was signed last September for his speed and past chemistry with Cousins in Washington. Six days later, he caught one pass for nine yards in the Week 3 loss to Buffalo. Four days after that, he caught two touchdowns — one more than Laquon Treadwell snagged in his entire Vikings career — in prime time on the road against the Rams.
Doctson comes to Minnesota as a taller, more well-rounded receiver with first-round pedigree. The Vikings wanted to draft him in 2016, but Washington selected him one spot before the Vikings settled for Treadwell.
“I thought I was going to be a Viking coming out,” Doctson said Wednesday. “So being in this building feels good.”
The Vikings didn’t consult Cousins before signing Doctson. But Cousins did go to offensive coordinator Kevin Stefanski to vouch for Doctson’s abilities and work ethic.
One of those abilities is a vertical leap that’s paired nicely with a 6-3 frame. A torn Achilles’ tendon wiped out all but two games of his rookie season, but he caught 35 passes for 502 yards and six touchdowns in 2017, his only full season with Cousins.
“One of his lead traits was his vertical jump, his ability to catch the ball at a high point in the air,” Cousins said. “But he was a fully developed receiver too. I don’t feel like he was a one-trick pony.”
Doctson said the Vikings’ new scheme already feels familiar.
“That’s probably the most pleasant thing,” he said. “It’s been easy for me so far. A lot of the same concepts. Familiar routes. Just kind of different verbiage. So, it’s been kind of easy.”
http://www.startribune.com/vikings-quart...559389522/

Doctson, Cousins look to regain chemistry quickly in Minnesota
EAGAN — After months of debating who the No. 3 receiver behind Adam Thielen and Stefon Diggs would be in 2019, the question was not answered until after cutdown day.
Now as the Minnesota Vikings approach a Week 1 matchup with the Atlanta Falcons, their No. 3 Josh Doctson is trying to play catch-up on the offense he just joined following his release by Washington. The Vikings’ new receiver said Wednesday that he was interested in coming to Minnesota in part because of his previous relationship with quarterback Kirk Cousins.
“Seeing what was going to be a best fit for myself, when Minnesota called it was a no-brainer to come rejoin Kirk,” Doctson said.
“I had a few [options] the first couple days but it probably wasn’t the best fit for me, it just didn’t feel right, I felt like there was something else out there and this came up, that’s why I was waiting,” Doctson added.
Cousins and Doctson connected for 35 passes on 72 targets for 502 yards and six touchdowns. The former first-round receiver said he can quickly find the chemistry he and Cousins had in the past.
“I would like to think so, for sure,” Doctson said. “We had two years there. My first year as a rookie you’re trying to learn stuff so a bit of a learning curve with him and I think that’s huge and hopefully we can build off what we had in Washington.”
“It’s a good feeling to see somebody familiar back there under center,” Doctson said. “You can’t really buy chemistry so being able to know that we had a couple years there where we were building chemistry, hopefully that’s still there, I assume so and we’ll just keep working.”
Cousins said that he endorsed the Doctson signing to offensive coordinator Kevin Stefanski and added that getting the new receiver up to speed quickly will be helped along by their previous experience together.
“If nothing else the two years that I worked with him are very valuable,” Cousins said. “It’s hard to bring someone in who I have no reps with and expect them to be able on two or three days of practice to be able to step in. When you have a longer relationship, I think that makes a big difference. I think he does have some special skill sets that we can use to our advantage.”
https://www.skornorth.com/vikings-2/2019...minnesota/