Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Zylstra to Panthers...

Brandon Zylstra excited to get chance with Panthers after saying Vikings play was substandardBrandon Zylstra is hoping his next NFL stop goes a lot better than his last one.

The wide receiver was claimed Sunday by the Carolina Panthers, a day after he was waived by the Vikings after one season. It was a bit of a surprise that Zylstra was let go, but he pointed the finger at himself.
“I didn’t perform up to my own standards as well as theirs,’’ Zylstra, a Spicer, Minn., native, said in a phone interview. “It came down to a business move there, but I didn’t perform to their standards, so definitely no hard feelings against them. I take full responsibility for it. If I had played better, I think I could have been an active (roster) guy.’’
Zysltra, 26, is happy to get another chance on a 53-man roster. He said he had an invitation to join Minnesota’s practice squad before he was claimed by the Panthers.
“I’m excited,’’ Zylstra said. “It kind of came down to the last few minutes of the waiver wire, so it was a bit of a surprise. I’m excited for another opportunity, a new start, a new city for me.’’
Zylstra suffered a hamstring injury during spring drills in June, and it lingered into training camp. He was placed on the physically unable to perform list before he was activated after missing the first three practices.
“I’m not trying to make an excuse, but I just had a slow start, and it took me awhile to get going,’’ Zylstra said. “I definitely didn’t play well my first week and then I fell on the depth chart. After that, I spent the rest of the time trying to fight and claw my way back, and in the end it wasn’t quite enough.’’
After two seasons in the Canadian Football League, Zylstra signed as a free agent last year with Minnesota. He played in all 16 games, catching one pass for 23 yards and being adept on special teams.
Zylstra said he was a little surprised the Vikings kept just four receivers on the active roster. He is grateful having had the chance to at least play one year for the team in his home state.
“I’m thankful for (general manager) Rick Spielman to give me the opportunity to at least come back home and work with my team I grew up following,’’ he said. “It was super cool to suit up for the purple.’’
https://www.twincities.com/2019/09/01/br...bstandard/