Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
USA Today rank the Vikings 6th

Si.com also has the Vikings winning the NFC North this year and winning 11 games:

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/07/17/nfl-sc...redictions

I agree with SI - this is a major rebound season for the Vikings (barring getting smitten by the football injury gods).

Seems a common narrative is that the Vikings are flying under the radar. They're only under the radar among media who has yet to actually LOOK at their roster. When you look at the roster, you're reminded "damn, this team is stacked." It is stacked. It's been stacked since 2016. 

Now, I don't feel a particular need to say this but I will anyway: talented rosters don't win Super Bowls. That takes a whole bunch of things coming together at the same time. But if all you're doing is looking at rosters, Vikings compare very, very well. 

It's why the Rick bashing is so...just stupid. If the Vikings don't win a Super Bowl in the next couple years, one thing is for certain, it will not be the fault of the man responsible for putting (and keeping) talent on the roster. 

Quote: @StickyBun said:
Si.com also has the Vikings winning the NFC North this year and winning 11 games:

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/07/17/nfl-sc...redictions
well, history says we should have a excellent season - under Zimmer it seems he has a very good year, then a disaster, then another big season, then a disaster - Their has been a weird pattern. And the disaster years seem to have strange, out of no where  - terrible things happen. Teddy with his leg, Sparano's passing before last season starts along with our star D end having a mental breakdown. What else? 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
Seems a common narrative is that the Vikings are flying under the radar. They're only under the radar among media who has yet to actually LOOK at their roster. When you look at the roster, you're reminded "damn, this team is stacked." It is stacked. It's been stacked since 2016. 

Now, I don't feel a particular need to say this but I will anyway: talented rosters don't win Super Bowls. That takes a whole bunch of things coming together at the same time. But if all you're doing is looking at rosters, Vikings compare very, very well. 

It's why the Rick bashing is so...just stupid. If the Vikings don't win a Super Bowl in the next couple years, one thing is for certain, it will not be the fault of the man responsible for putting (and keeping) talent on the roster. 
I think the Rick bashing is a bit over the top, but the offensive line has held this loaded roster back in 2 out of the past three seasons.  Yes, we were hit hard with injuries in those two years, but the overall talent level has been lacking and our depth has been razor thin.  THAT is a legitimate complaint and falls directly on Spielman's shoulders as GM. 

The last decade we've spent alot of 1st round picks chasing a QB. Going back to Ponder, then Teddy then trading for Sam. Now after a decade of neglect we've spent 2 high picks 1st and 2nd on the Oline.
Since Mike was hired by Rick all the high picks before last year were defense. There was a real need there no doubt. However the best defense needs the ability to have the offense run well and keep them rested. 2 of the last 3 years we couldn't do sh!t there.

Forgot what the topic was. I guess I don't see power ranking a team that missed the playoffs for the 2nd times in 3 years is under the radar. That's is a bit high based on recent history.
I think they will bouce back. I'm not sure we are that 1st round bye week team we were 2 years ago. We had better be a playoff team at least. Just can't waste this core of players waiting for the Oline to play up to NFL standards.