Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Austin Cutting, Three Down and Locked
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/07/18/report-vikings-seventh-rounder-austin-cutting-cleared-to-play-in-nfl/

Quote:Report: Vikings seventh-rounder Austin Cutting cleared to play in NFL

Long snapper Austin Cutting is the lone 2019 seventh-round pick without a contract, but the delay in signing with the team hasn’t been due to a dispute over the size of the deal.

Chris Tomasson of the Pioneer Press reports that Cutting has been given the green light to play. There are no further details about the Air Force commitment.

Tomasson adds that Cutting is expected to sign his four-year rookie deal with the team on Monday, which is the day that all Vikings rookies will be reporting to training camp.

just a question for the draft gurus that undoubtedly watched a ton of Austin Cutting film... is this kid worth all the fuss?  will he be big upgrade over KM?

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
just a question for the draft gurus that undoubtedly watched a ton of Austin Cutting film... is this kid worth all the fuss?  will he be big upgrade over KM?
I don't think anyone here heard of the guy until the Vikings drafted him.  Reading up on him, it sounds like he had an excellent Pro Day and scouts say his snap velocity and accuracy are very good. 

We'll see what he does, but if the Vikings used a draft pick on him...  I think that is telling.  Especially with how tight we are against the cap this year and next...  McDermott has about a 1 million dollar cap hit, but factors into the top 51 contracts.  It would likely only save a half million if they keep Cutting, but savings are savings when you've handed out as many big contracts as the Vikings have the past couple years.

I've kinda just assumed the guy has one job and that he must do it pretty dang well to have spent a draft pick on him. There isn't much else for him to do; with his skill set his development ceiling is Long Snapper and his development floor is like Personal Pilot for the Wilf family.

His backstory is pretty cool; I hope he carves out a long career here.

I'm more curious what we do, lol... i'm picturing by game 3 we're going to have a few snap experts breaking down "speed to tightness ratios" and "snap reaction" times.  :p