Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First OL combination revealed today
Kline has a lot of Starts under his belt, including for Belicheat. If he bounces back after playing in a bad scheme last year it's a sneaky good signing. If Dozier makes the team that's also another good signing.

Quote: @Wetlander said:
@StickyBun said:
I think its 100% that the line will start out camp as Reiff-Elflein-Bradbury-Kline-O'Neill. Fingers crossed as always on injuries. If players, both starters and backups can practice and play preseason games at the same position (not flexing back and forth from guard to OT), that will be vital for the whole unit's potential. I know some fans think Kline's spot might be open for competition, but I don't think so. IMO, the Vikings would love to roll in Game 1 with that starting unit. 
Based upon what they are paying Kline...  he is definitely their #1 option at RG this season.  I'm actually feeling pretty good about our offensive line this year.  Our starting 5 looks solid and we have some talented depth.
It does look pretty good. Elf next to Reiff should make Reiff better. I think the weak link on this line is Kline, but between Bradbury and O'Neill he could have a bit of a comeback. What worries me is that the Titans switched to a zone last year and he had his worst year. Was it related to the zone? Or something else? He's supposed to be a zone guard. Titans signed him to a 4-year, $26M contract in 2018. Then released him the following season after a terrible year prompted a paycut request, which he refused. So who is he exactly? I don't have a clue. Let's just say that I feel good that we drafted Samia. 

Our line depth looks pretty solid with Hill but the talent level at G is still very suspect.  I believe scheme will help more than any potential upgrades. Neither Elf nor Kline excite me much more than compton remmers

Quote: @Bullazin said:
Our line depth looks pretty solid with Hill but the talent level at G is still very suspect.  I believe scheme will help more than any potential upgrades. Neither Elf nor Kline excite me much more than compton remmers
I'm not sure why. Elf and Kline have shown better than or at least League Average play, something neither of last year's Starters ever did.

Elf from Center to Guard has a much higher percentage chance of working better than Remmers from Tackle to Guard since Elf played there more in college. At a big time college in a big time conference.

Kline has started a ton of games and been League Average. Compton has way less starrts and has never sniffed League Average.

There's never any guarantees but the percentage chance that the new Guards perform better than the old ones is significantly higher.

Kline is the biggest question mark in my mind. Rick's second tier of free agency O-linemen acquisition record isn't exactly stellar.
Reiff should be solid if healthy. Elf should return to form with a full off season to train. Bradbury should at least be an improvement or potentially much better. And O'Neill should be better with increased strength and a year of experience under his belt. He should be a very good fit in the new blocking scheme.

Depth is very important since they always seem to have injuries along the O-line. And depth would appear to better.
I wouldn't mind seeing someone replace Hill as the third tackle option. He has had ample opportunity to start, but has not proven to be a starter.

The focus on building a better offensive line gives me some hope. I just wonder why it has taken so long?

Quote: @jargomcfargo said:
Kline is the biggest question mark in my mind. Rick's second tier of free agency O-linemen acquisition record isn't exactly stellar.
Reiff should be solid if healthy. Elf should return to form with a full off season to train. Bradbury should at least be an improvement or potentially much better. And O'Neill should be better with increased strength and a year of experience under his belt. He should be a very good fit in the new blocking scheme.

Depth is very important since they always seem to have injuries along the O-line. And depth would appear to better.
I wouldn't mind seeing someone replace Hill as the third tackle option. He has had ample opportunity to start, but has not proven to be a starter.

The focus on building a better offensive line gives me some hope. I just wonder why it has taken so long?
IMO Hill is a perfect 3rd tackle.  He is a vet and has started both spots.  He can be trusted to be solid, but isn't long term starter material.  So as a backup, he fits.

Quote: @greediron said:
@jargomcfargo said:

IMO Hill is a perfect 3rd tackle.  He is a vet and has started both spots.  He can be trusted to be solid, but isn't long term starter material.  So as a backup, he fits.
I like Collins better than Hill based on a limited amount of snaps I've seen of Collins.  Hill seemed to have regressed last year I think it would dol hill some good to get a spot and stay there.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@greediron said:
@jargomcfargo said:

I like Collins better than Hill based on a limited amount of snaps I've seen of Collins.  Hill seemed to have regressed last year I think it would dol hill some good to get a spot and stay there.
Has Collins seen any actual NFL game snaps?  Hill gets exposed when required to start for any length of time, but has played in real games and been solid as a backup.

Quote: @greediron said:
@jargomcfargo said:

Agree. We're fortunate to have Hill. 15 games of starting experience, plays both sides. What's nice is that the Vikings have a nice mix of experience and upside in Hill, Collins and Udoh.

It'll be interesting to see how that 3rd and 4th tackle competition shakes out. Vikings probably think they can count on Hill, but he's not the athlete or the developmental prospect of either Collins or Udoh. Even Storm Norton is a better athlete.

I think Kline is the key to the OL this year.  If he plays well, the unit moves forward big time from last year.  But, if he falters, who is going to be the RG?  Right now, the backup is Isadora.  I'm not even counting on Isadora making the team this year.  Who else?  Edison?  Jones?  I put them in the same bucket as Isadora.  Collins?  I don't think he did well at that spot when I saw him in the pre-season.  It looks to me, that Samia would be the guy and I don't think he will be ready to play as a rookie.  He is not in the class of Bradbury.