Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Quick...Who was the last #1 pick IOL for the Vikings?
Quote: Q@savannahskol said:
Selecting a center in the first round of the draft is unusual. There hasn’t been a center drafted in the first round since 2013 when Dallas selected Travis Frederick with the 31st pick.
(Update.... 2018 had two more C's drafted in first round.  Ragnow @20  and Price @21, both moved to G, I think)

There have been a total of just 10 centers taken in the first round since 2000. Mike Pouncey was the highest center taken in the draft of those players. Miami took him with the No. 15 pick in 2011

Frank Ragnow (2018)

Billy Price (2018) 

Frederick (2013)

Mike Pouncey (2011)

Maurkice Pouncey (2010)

Alex Mack (2009)

Eric Wood (2009)

Nick Mangold (2006)

Chris Spencer (2005)

Jeff Faine (2003)

Fant, Dillard, Sweat, Tillery, Baker taken after our selection. 

Not sayin' we didn't need some IOL help.  Coulda had his equal (Walter football) later.  walterfootball.com/draft2019C.php

Draft for need!!!  Yikes. 

Don't get me wrong, I'll root hard for Cadbury.  

Lotsa talent on the board going into day 2.   Make me a believer, Rick.
The past is absolutely meaningless in today's NFL.  With the ever increasing contracts given to the QBs and the increasing focus on the passing game,  not to mention the athleticism getting ridiculous on the defensive side of the line,  the need for quality OLine play has never been greater. 

Couple all that with the lack of oline player development in the college game due to the spread offenses popularity and OL selection has certainly moved up the board and will continue to do so.

They identified their man and got him,  I love it.  Now let's double down and grab another quality OL player tonight and maybe add a developmental guy in the later rounds as well.

And just to show commitment to the bit...give me another TE today as well.  They after all are the true swiss army knife of the offense.

When Andre Dillard fell to them, I thought he would be the pick - mostly because the Vikings seemed to be seeking an OT in free agency, but I will admit that I shared in the tendency to under-value IOL. But Bradbury is an excellent prospect with a very high floor and also a pretty high ceiling.
I think this pick demonstrates that Spielman understands that he absolutely MUST give Cousins every opportunity to excel this year. There were 3-4 DLs or DBs with potential to be 2021 All-Pros on the board, but they were passed over in favor of a player that is almost certain to contribute immediately in 2019.

Quote: @savannahskol said:
Selecting a center in the first round of the draft is unusual. There hasn’t been a center drafted in the first round since 2013 when Dallas selected Travis Frederick with the 31st pick.
(Update.... 2018 had two more C's drafted in first round.  Ragnow @20  and Price @21, both moved to G, I think)

There have been a total of just 10 centers taken in the first round since 2000. Mike Pouncey was the highest center taken in the draft of those players. Miami took him with the No. 15 pick in 2011

Frank Ragnow (2018)

Billy Price (2018) 

Frederick (2013)

Mike Pouncey (2011)

Maurkice Pouncey (2010)

Alex Mack (2009)

Eric Wood (2009)

Nick Mangold (2006)

Chris Spencer (2005)

Jeff Faine (2003)

Fant, Dillard, Sweat, Tillery, Baker taken after our selection. 

Not sayin' we didn't need some IOL help.  Coulda had his equal (Walter football) later.  walterfootball.com/draft2019C.php

Draft for need!!!  Yikes. 

Don't get me wrong, I'll root hard for Cadbury.  

Lotsa talent on the board going into day 2.   Make me a believer, Rick.
Are you seriously bitching about drafting an OL after the shit show that was last year?