Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TDN's Marino posts his final IOL and OT rankings

I really like how WalterFootball does their rankings (not the
rankings themselves), where they rank players by the positions they could play
not just where they have played, so if we’re looking at for an OG, who’s better
Cody Ford or Garrett Bradbury?  It seems
to really limit the usefulness of rankings when you are only looking at where
they played in college and not where they could play in the pros.

Quote: @medaille said:
I think that's already baked into the evaluation. For example. Risner ranks ahead of Dillard in the tackle rankings, but Dillard is probably the better pure tackle. Risner likely ranks ahead of him because he can play all five positions and would probably be a much better guard than Dillard. 

These are pretty good rankings overall. I would say that Marino has a bias towards more complete players than those who have better traits but lacked elite production in college. But I tend to value traits a bit more so its more of a philosophical disagreement. 

Most mocks have Jonah Williams falling to us.  If he's there, you have to pull the trigger...unless Dillard is too, then I would have to think hard about going that direction.  If either are there, there should be no debate...run up with the card.

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@medaille said:
I think that's already baked into the evaluation. For example. Risner ranks ahead of Dillard in the tackle rankings, but Dillard is probably the better pure tackle. Risner likely ranks ahead of him because he can play all five positions and would probably be a much better guard than Dillard. 

I’m not sure how that helps me decide where the OT’s that
have position flexibility rank when compared to the dedicated iOL for a team
that wants to fill the guard position.  You
look at the top 5 guys on the OT list, and at least 3 of the 5 could play guard
at a high level.  Where does Bradbury
rank compared to them?

Quote: @medaille said:
@MaroonBells said:
@medaille said:

I’m not sure how that helps me decide where the OT’s that
have position flexibility rank when compared to the dedicated iOL for a team
that wants to fill the guard position.  You
look at the top 5 guys on the OT list, and at least 3 of the 5 could play guard
at a high level.  Where does Bradbury
rank compared to them?

Well I can't speak for the guys at TDN, but IMO Bradbury doesn't have the position OR the scheme versatility of a Risner or a Williams or a Ford or even a Dillard, so if position and scheme versatility is important to you, you'd probably rank him a little lower. However, in my own personal opinion, Bradbury will be the first of this group to go to a Pro Bowl provided he goes to a team that runs a lot of outside zone (Vikings) and who have a need at center (Vikings? Good question). So you have to take all that into account and rank them as you see fit. 

Bradbury's going to be an interesting case on draft day. Like I said, I think he could be better than all of them, but he's limited. So if he gets past a zone team or two, he could drop a ways as teams who already have starting-quality centers fill needs elsewhere. 

I think there are 3 guys worth taking at 18, Taylor, Dillard and William's, outside of those 3, we need a partner that wants to trade up or we push OL to round 2 and beyond.  

I'd be happy with a DT/TE at 18 then move up if we have to to grab Lindstrom or Bradbury if we are good with Elflein at guard and take early fliers on a couple of the sleepers like Nate Davis, Alex Barrs, Michael Jordan, Bobby Evans, Kaleb McGary, Paul Adams and Donnell Greene.  I'd rather we get 3 linemen from this group than waste a first on a sub caliber talent due to need.