Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mike McCarthy complains about firing
Quote: @"Wetlander" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
@"Wetlander" said:
@"StickyBun" said

I guess I'd challenge somebody to find a coach that does consistently well, year in and year out without a franchise QB....especially at Rogers's level. And what do you have to work with at the #2 spot when you are paying a ton of money to your starting QB? I don't think its a completely fair prism to judge a coach in the NFL who has a great QB. Great players make great coaches and when you have a lesser than guy in such an important position as NFL QB, you aren't going to be as successful. JMO on the subject.
You don't have to look too far...  Look at what Zimmer has done with the Vikings...  he won the division with Teddy Bridgewater in his 2nd season, then went 8-8 after losing his starting QB (Teddy) a week before the season and his HOF RB (Adrian) two weeks into the year, then went 13-3 after he again lost his starting QB (Bradford) a week into the season and had to play with a journeyman backup QB (Keenum).

Fans like to rag on Zimmer, but he's only had one losing season (his first as a HC) in five years as our Head Coach.  If we could get some continuity at QB and OC, I think the Vikings would be a perennial playoff team.

In 3 out of 5 seasons, Zimmer has won 8 games or less. I like him ok, but I'm not close to crowning him anything yet. And neither should anyone else. 1-2 in the playoffs. And you can blame Zimmer for the lack of OC continuity.

2019 is his year. Lets see the baby.

You asked someone to name a coach who has done well consistently without a franchise QB...  I gave you a current HC who has won 2 division titles in 5 seasons with Teddy Bridgewater and Case Keenum...  and that is in a division with Aaron Rodgers.  In fact, he actually finished ahead of the Packers in 3 out of the last 5 seasons...  If you don't want someone to answer the question, don't ask.  :-P

As far as the lack of continuity at OC, I think Norv was threatened by Shurmur and Sparano offering input into the offense in 2016...  and he should have been put on notice after our offense wasn't very good in 2014 and 2015.  Promoting Shurmur was the right move, Zimmer couldn't help it that he got offered a HC job.  DeFelippo was a mistake, but I like who he's brought in this year.
Wet, that's not consistency. Aaron Rodgers was injured 2 of those 5 years, right? Its an anomaly. You didn't answer the question because its not accurate, your response. If you think it is, then you've got your purple glasses on. Winning a division 2 out of 5 years is 'consistent'? Not even close.

We can argue this all day, but like I said, Zimmer needs a good year in 2019. 

Quote: @"Wetlander" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
@"Wetlander" said:
@"StickyBun" said

I guess I'd challenge somebody to find a coach that does consistently well, year in and year out without a franchise QB....especially at Rogers's level. And what do you have to work with at the #2 spot when you are paying a ton of money to your starting QB? I don't think its a completely fair prism to judge a coach in the NFL who has a great QB. Great players make great coaches and when you have a lesser than guy in such an important position as NFL QB, you aren't going to be as successful. JMO on the subject.
You don't have to look too far...  Look at what Zimmer has done with the Vikings...  he won the division with Teddy Bridgewater in his 2nd season, then went 8-8 after losing his starting QB (Teddy) a week before the season and his HOF RB (Adrian) two weeks into the year, then went 13-3 after he again lost his starting QB (Bradford) a week into the season and had to play with a journeyman backup QB (Keenum).

Fans like to rag on Zimmer, but he's only had one losing season (his first as a HC) in five years as our Head Coach.  If we could get some continuity at QB and OC, I think the Vikings would be a perennial playoff team.

In 3 out of 5 seasons, Zimmer has won 8 games or less. I like him ok, but I'm not close to crowning him anything yet. And neither should anyone else. 1-2 in the playoffs. And you can blame Zimmer for the lack of OC continuity.

2019 is his year. Lets see the baby.

You asked someone to name a coach who has done well consistently without a franchise QB...  I gave you a current HC who has won 2 division titles in 5 seasons with Teddy Bridgewater and Case Keenum...  and that is in a division with Aaron Rodgers.  In fact, he actually finished ahead of the Packers in 3 out of the last 5 seasons...  If you don't want someone to answer the question, don't ask.  :-P

As far as the lack of continuity at OC, I think Norv was threatened by Shurmur and Sparano offering input into the offense in 2016...  and he should have been put on notice after our offense wasn't very good in 2014 and 2015.  Promoting Shurmur was the right move, Zimmer couldn't help it that he got offered a HC job.  DeFelippo was a mistake, but I like who he's brought in this year.
That was my first thought to that question as well.  Zimmer has.  And we haven't lost to the Packers in 2 years.