Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Griffen restructures and stays with the Vikings
Quote: @Kentis said:
@HappyViking said:
Does the new Griff deal go beyond next season?  Is this the one year "prove it" deal Guru mentioned might happen?

I'd like to see our QB restructure to help the team like Brady does.  Cousins obviously proved he can't win all by himself.  His bank account is probably more important though.
If you restructure Cousins you’d have to extend him, otherwise the restructure would just get dumped onto the 2020 cap hit, unfortunately.
And let's be honest here. QBs usually start restructuring AFTER they've won, or been in a Super Bowl, while on or getting that contract that put them Top 3 for a bit, not before the contract was even up, let alone 1 year in.

Lots of commas but you get my drift.

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@purplefaithful said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
They will still need to make another move at some point, but this is breathing room for the time being. Once you account for rookie contracts and the Top-51 offset, they're sitting around $4.5M in space they can actually use. That isn't nearly enough for 2020 extension, a Thielen restructure, etc... 
Sounds like more than one chess move remains???

We'll see. I wouldn't jump to the conclusion they're trading Trae (they apparently told him they are not) but a Rudolph extension to lower his 2019 cap hit might be the next card in the deck. After that it gets a big more interesting. 
I could be wrong, but I still think they trade Waynes. Rick knows its not a good corner class either in free agency or the draft. A team hoping for one in the draft and missing might just pull the trigger.
I honestly ok either way. Supposedly Waynes camp was told he wasn't going anywhere, but that wouldn't be the first time someone is told that and subsequently moved. I agree that the CB market is weak and draft class thin. We'll have a better feel for it once Darby signs. 

If they do choose to keep Waynes I think it decreases the chance they stay at #18. Whether that means moving back to increase their # of picks in the top 100 or moving up to get their guy would be TBD. 

Andrew Krammer‏ @Andrew_KrammerHow close was Everson Griffen's restructure to the 3 p.m. deadline? Rick Spielman: "It was a matter of Everson sitting in the parking lot at 2:40 ... He was up in my office by 2:45, got it signed by 2:50." #Vikings