Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OT: Hell, I worked with people like this for 30 years
Quote: @Bullazin said:
@StickyBun said:
@Bullazin said:
@StickyBun said:
We have those here in the U.S., they are called union jobs. 
Union workers actually work.  
LOL. Good one! .......Oh you are serious?

You know any cops unions?
firefighters?
how about taconite miners?
coal miners?

Dont tell me... you are one who struggled to the top, from near the top right?
Teachers, social workers, electricians, nurses and so on.

@StickyBun said:
@Bullazin said:
@StickyBun said:

firefighters?
coal miners

Yes i know im too damn serious
I know carpenters unions, millwrights, auto, teamsters, etc. Unions are a great way for people to have a protected job and not work. I like the idea of why unions came to be, they were necessary. Today? With some exceptions, they are a travesty. But can't paint with too wide a brush here as with anything else. Obviously, not every union worker is shirking their duties.

Quote: @StickyBun said:
@Bullazin said:
@StickyBun said:
@Bullazin said:
@StickyBun said:

firefighters?
coal miners

I know carpenters unions, millwrights, auto, teamsters, etc. Unions are a great way for people to have a protected job and not work. I like the idea of why unions came to be, they were necessary. Today? With some exceptions, they are a travesty. But can't paint with too wide a brush here as with anything else. Obviously, not every union worker is shirking their duties.
https://youtu.be/KEWkeXLqiAM?t=11

Save your vacation time.

I'll hire you this summer, see if you can keep up for a couple weeks!!!

@Bullazin said:
@StickyBun said:
@Bullazin said:
@StickyBun said:

firefighters?
coal miners

I strongly disagree with some of your sentiments, but i apologize for a comment i made earlier

Quote: @ThunderGod said:
Basically early retirement with a pension for one employee.  Don't see where this is any experiment.  Just B.S.
It sounds like it is one person too. Definitely not an experiment with only one person.

The problem with unions is they create jobs when one wasn't needed. For example.  I was a project manager/inspector on a large bridge construction project.  One of the Carpenters was cutting a plywood form. When he finished I was trying to help him out and grabbed a broom and shovel to clean up the sawdust and wood scraps.  It was only a couple of shovel loads and would have taken 2 minutes.  He told me to leave it and that I'm taking work away from a laborer.  Well in my mind that company had one too many laborers if I had to leave 2 minutes of work for him.  These were the type of jobs that were created in the past when jobs were scarce and they tried to employ as many as possible.  Those times are locked gone.  The unemployment rate is 4% and there are jobs out there for a person to get without a unions help unlike in the past. 

Quote: @Purple Haze said:
The problem with unions is they create jobs when one wasn't needed. For example.  I was a project manager/inspector on a large bridge construction project.  One of the Carpenters was cutting a plywood form. When he finished I was trying to help him out and grabbed a broom and shovel to clean up the sawdust and wood scraps.  It was only a couple of shovel loads and would have taken 2 minutes.  He told me to leave it and that I'm taking work away from a laborer.  Well in my mind that company had one too many laborers if I had to leave 2 minutes of work for him.  These were the type of jobs that were created in the past when jobs were scarce and they tried to employ as many as possible.  Those times are locked gone.  The unemployment rate is 4% and there are jobs out there for a person to get without a unions help unlike in the past. 
When his employer/company bid the job, the laborer was in the bid. Unless it ended up being a Time and Material job ( I doubt)
Bridge work probably had some minority % clause in it. federal and/or state funding. Being a project manager I assume you are aware of these couple
things I mentioned, there are many more rules and hoops employers have to jump through to meet the laws.

I assume the company doing the work was the low bidder?????????

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@Caactorvike said:
@StickyBun said:

trying to make a joke I’m sure, but way off base.  Without unions you wouldnt have  weekends, a 40 hour work week,a minimum wage and safe and sanitary workplace provisions. Bullizin is right.  Of course abuses can exist, on both sides but who do you trust to protect you, the corporation or your fellow workers?
thanks to those "fellow workers"  (ahem..cough...mobsters... cough) and their looking out for the fellow worker a lot of those evil corporations went bankrupt or those jobs left the country.   as far as the rest of that shit... those things would have come around without unions,  there are plenty of places around the world that dont have organized labor and have shorter work weeks and better working conditions than in our organized shops here.  they had their time and place but that was long ago.
Jimmie,”those things would have come about without the unions”. WTF?  you gotta be joking.  I’ve  negotiated a number of union contracts with producers and believe me, NO gains are made without fighting for them.  As far as “plenty of places around the world dont have organized unions etc”. Sure, but they have governments that set limits on coorporations in order to protect workers.  And as far as “mobsters” go—thats a long outmoded cliche.  CEOs now earn tens of millions of dollars a year while cutting worker pensions, while threatening to leave the country if they dont get what they want.  who’s the mobster in that scenerio?  Of course there are good employers too—ones who know a union gives them a single bargining partner who can help to work out a comprimise that keep both workers and management happy.  There is a place for both at the bargaining table.

@StickyBun said:
@Bullazin said:
@StickyBun said:
@Bullazin said:
@StickyBun said:

firefighters?
coal miners

I strongly disagree with some of your sentiments, but i apologize for a comment i made earlier
No need to apologize, its all good with me.