Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What do you think the final Border Security Solution will look like?
A little wall? Big Wall? No Wall? Other tactic (s)?

Has Trump built a strong enough case (outside of the MAGA populace) that we have a border security issue that requires massive funding to fix?

On the surface
[Image: 360fly_-_The_Wall_16.jpg]
Below the surface
[Image: tunnel%2Bunder%2Bboader%2Bwall.jpg]

I don't anticipate any major changes to what is going on currently. The main enhancements should be the technology at the legal ports of entry. Like Vanguard so beautifully illustrated, the so-called wall would not eliminate the tunnels. Also there are going to be court battles due to environmental concerns and land ownership issues. Lawyers will love it. 

....Why won't Mexico have a Summer Olympic team?

...'cause anyone that can run, jump and swim is already in the U.S.

I don’t really understand Trumps goal with the wall.  Is he trying to stop illegal immigrants?  Human trafficking?  Drug and Arms Trafficking?  I think the wall is probably politically more
important to both parties at this point than it is functionally motivated.  I think Trump has built up the importance of
the wall enough that needs to figure out how to get it done before the 2020
campaign season begins, and I think the democrats really need for him to not be
able to complete it because they’ve dug themselves such a big hole.  I think he’ll most likely build something,
even if he has to declare a military emergency to do it.  The military can probably find enough money
to build the wall in their couch cushions. 
Having a wall is a clear indicator of him getting stuff done, in a
political landscape where people make promises that can’t be verified.  My guess is it will be the cheapest thing
that looks impressive and works pretty well.

That said, part of me thinks it’s a big distraction by Trump.  Get the democrats fixated on preventing him
from getting the wall, and it makes them look fixated on stopping him from achieving anything and that they’re the ones holding everything up, which is pretty much
true.

Trump will get some wall but not $5B worth. 

The wall likely won't be built...and it certainly won't be completed. And if it's not complete then what's the point? As Medaille says, it's a political distraction. It's part of the game. A 19th century solution to a 21st century problem. 

Forget the fact that a wall across the entire Texas border will cost about 10 times what Trump is asking for. Forget that a wall will do nothing about the vast majority of people who are in this country illegally--60% of whom are overstayers (people who come here legally and overstay their visas). Forget that it will do nothing about drugs since nearly ALL drugs enter through legal points of entry, hidden in vehicles or boats. In order to build a wall, you first must own the land that it's on. And the American government doesn't. American citizens do. And the eminent domain battles that will ensue in court will likely take longer than Trump will be in office. The wall is nothing more than a snake-oil pitch delivered off the back of a wagon by a con man.

But let's say it does get built. There are already 230 tunnels and there's not even a wall yet. You think it's going to stop people from trying to make a better life for their families? The Berlin wall was 1/20th the size of the planned border wall. And it was patrolled by the military...there was barbed wire...and mine fields. And yet 5,000 people managed to get across before it was eventually torn down. A wall will accomplish nothing.