Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How Gary Kubiak's influence could affect the Vikings' offense
While we won’t know for some time how much control the elder Kubiak will have in his role as an advisor, here are a few things that might influence the dynamic of Minnesota’s offense with the former Houston and Denver head coach involved.
A restored run gameA zone-blocking run scheme is a staple of Kubiak’s system. The Vikings have been committed to this type of blocking style but struggled to execute it effectively in 2018. Kubiak is revered for taking run-of-the-mill backs and putting them in position to reach their fullest potential, having morphed Arian Foster from an undrafted free agent in 2009 into the Texans' all-time leading rusher. The same happened in Denver for Terrell Davis, who became the Broncos’ all-time leading rusher when Kubiak was offensive coordinator, and C.J. Anderson (ninth all-time in team history), who flourished as a downhill back in that system.
The Shanahan connectionThe line of head coaches in Kubiak’s coaching tree is impressive and includes two who have a close relationship to quarterback Kirk Cousins: Mike and Kyle Shanahan, whom Cousins worked with in Washington for several seasons.
One major benefit of retaining Stefanski was preventing Cousins from having to work with a fifth offensive coordinator in four seasons. With the idea of continuity in mind, having someone who worked with both Shanahan’s at length and knows how those West Coast principles were taught to Cousins early on in the NFL could help with the quarterback's development in Minnesota.
A quarterback whispererThis term gets thrown around a lot, but given the list of quarterbacks Gary Kubiak has worked with and his ability to get the most out of veterans such as Jake Plummer (three straight playoff appearances from 2003-05), Matt Schaub (set career highs in passing/attempts in 2009 while earning one of two trips to the Pro Bowl) and Joe Flacco (put up better numbers under Kubiak in 2014 than in his Super Bowl year), the title is often and fairly associated with the new Vikings coach.
Kubiak has also worked with a wide array of talent, from Trevor Siemian, Brian Griese and Brock Osweiler to veterans late in their careers like John Elway, Steve Young and Manning. He’s a master at finding ways to maximize passing efficiency, no matter who he’s working with.
His offenses ranked in the top 10 in net yards/attempt 12 times since 1995 while his scoring offenses have cracked the top 10 11 times in that same timeframe. How he’s been able to achieve that feat is largely rooted in what he’s done at the quarterback position in each of his stops, something that could be a factor in Minnesota when he gets to work with Cousins.
"Kubiak is a guy who does a great job of maximizing a quarterback’s strengths and minimizing weaknesses," Rosenfels said. "The Vikings are not going to lead the NFL in passing yards and touchdowns next year but as far as being efficient with your quarterback and putting him in really good chance to have success -- which I believe is the No. 1 goal for your offense -- Kubiak has done that at a high level with guys who are less talented than Kirk Cousins."

http://www.espn.com/blog/minnesota-vikin...gs-offense

Quote: @purplefaithful said:"Kubiak is a guy who does a great job of maximizing a quarterback’s strengths and minimizing weaknesses."
This was our biggest flaw last year. Not just at QB, but across the entire offense. The inability to recognize strengths and weaknesses and game plan accordingly.

I wonder if we will try to retain Siemian now. I figured he was a one-year deal, but maybe Kubiak likes him.

I think if he can help Stef figure out the run game by figuring out the blocking scheme issues, I think our offense will have a fighting chance.  As the year went on, teams knew we couldn't run so that was like cutting their work in half.

Quote: @greediron said:
I think if he can help Stef figure out the run game by figuring out the blocking scheme issues, I think our offense will have a fighting chance.  As the year went on, teams knew we couldn't run so that was like cutting their work in half.
Couldn't run, or wouldn't run?

Dalvin
11/4, 8.9 average only 10 attempts
12/2, 9.3 average only 9 attempts

Quote: @holmanjp said:
@greediron said:

Dalvin

Both...  JDF would go away from the run game too early in games and wouldn't commit to it at times when he should have.

But the Vikings DID struggle in short yardage situations this season...  When we HAD to pick up a yard or two, we failed more often than not.

Remmers and Compton weren't physical enough inside and rarely moved the line of scrimmage to create holes or cut back lanes to exploit.

Quote: @Wetlander said:
@holmanjp said:
@greediron said:

Dalvin

Both...  JDF would go away from the run game too early in games and wouldn't commit to it at times when he should have.

But the Vikings DID struggle in short yardage situations this season...  When we HAD to pick up a yard or two, we failed more often than not.

Remmers and Compton weren't physical enough inside and rarely moved the line of scrimmage to create holes or cut back lanes to exploit.
And those are 2 outliers for sure.  One would have been the Patriot game were we were able to run but went away from it.  I think that was the game where Zimmer decided it was time to move on.  JDF stayed on thru the Seattle game because we went east coast to west coast away games and throwing Flip in there would have not been prudent.

Quote: @Jor-El said:
I wonder if we will try to retain Siemian now. I figured he was a one-year deal, but maybe Kubiak likes him.
I would be surprised if Siemian were back. It's Sloter's 3rd year. It's time for him to either become a QB2 or get out of the NFL. IF they don't sign Bo Levi (who's said to be weighing his options among the several teams who worked him out), I think the Vikings draft a QB3 in the late rounds. 

Quote: @holmanjp said:
@greediron said:

Dalvin

That stat is grotesque.