Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hiring an OC and other considerations
Something to keep in mind with the vacancies, rumors and resignings.  The truth is, that with Zimmer being a lame duck coach, the options are going to be very limited.  No one of any consequence is going to take a one year contract.  That’s the reality unless they decide to extend Zimmer.

im good with extending Zimmer.
the guy knows his shit. our defense was a joke for a decade. how we went from 27 to 13 to 5 or whatever, i credit Zim. 

just wish he was younger. worried about his longitudinal health.  

Quote: @Vanguard83 said:
the guy knows his shit. our defense was a joke for a decade. how we went from 27 to 13 to 5 or whatever, i credit Zim. 

I would have until this last season.  I have lost a ton of confidence in his ability to motivate and gameplan.

Quote: @Purplewhizz said:
@Vanguard83 said:

I would have until this last season.  I have lost a ton of confidence in his ability to motivate and gameplan.
Agreed. Vanguard, I just don't see a Zimmer lead team contending any time soon. Like the PFF video on another thread pointed out, Elite Defenses are not sustainable in this league. Look at our performance towards the end of last year, and all of this year against teams with winning records. Look at the Jaguars who were arguably the best defense in the league last year. Their regression as a unit this year was troubling and without that level of performance, they went nowhere with Blake Bortles, Fornette, and their power running game in a Pass First league. Zimmer is going to control and micromanage any coordinator to run the offense the way he thinks it should be run. That is not his expertise and he should stay out of it, but I don't see that happening.   

Quote: @TBro said: 
@Purplewhizz said:
@Vanguard83 said:

Agreed. Vanguard, I just don't see a Zimmer lead team contending any time soon. Like the PFF video on another thread pointed out, Elite Defenses are not sustainable in this league. Look at our performance towards the end of last year, and all of this year against teams with winning records. Look at the Jaguars who were arguably the best defense in the league last year. Their regression as a unit this year was troubling and without that level of performance, they went nowhere with Blake Bortles, Fornette, and their power running game in a Pass First league. Zimmer is going to control and micromanage any coordinator to run the offense the way he thinks it should be run. That is not his expertise and he should stay out of it, but I don't see that happening.   
Which games did the defense perform bad?  I get the Rams game.  What other game?  

Quote: @silverjoel said:
@TBro said: 
@Purplewhizz said:
@Vanguard83 said:

Which games did the defense perform bad?  I get the Rams game.  What other game?  
They were pretty bad in the first game against Green Bay and against New England.  That last game against the Bears was no great shakes either.

Quote: @Purplewhizz said:
@silverjoel said:
@TBro said: 
@Purplewhizz said:
@Vanguard83 said:

They were pretty bad in the first game against Green Bay and against New England.  That last game against the Bears was no great shakes either.
I mean giving up 19 points to GB on the road doesn't sound so bad to me.  GB had 7 points from a blocked point and a 3-and-out FG, which I'm not going to put on the defense, while having over a 6 minute disadvantage in time if possession.  

24 points at NE isn't great, but covering up 2 Vikings INTs and losing the time of possession by almost 7 minutes isn't helping.

And I would say any defense that can sustain 4 3-and-outs to start the game and only give up 21 points (another 3-and-out FG for the Bears) with over a 14 minute time of possession disadvantage seems pretty good.

IMO, a bad offense caused a lot of that.

These are some of the best stats that I have found.  It just doesn't give with the defense is to blame.  The offense on the other hand...  And it's really been this way all year, the offense has been bad at scoring and sustaining drives since week 1.

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/drivestatsoff

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/drivestatsdef

Edit: this really isn't the post to discuss this, I'll start a new one in a couple of days.

Quote: @silverjoel said:
@Purplewhizz said:
@silverjoel said:
@TBro said: 
@Purplewhizz said:
@Vanguard83 said:

I mean giving up 19 points to GB on the road doesn't sound so bad to me.  GB had 7 points from a blocked point and a 3-and-out FG, which I'm not going to put on the defense, while having over a 6 minute disadvantage in time if possession.  

24 points at NE isn't great, but covering up 2 Vikings INTs and losing the time of possession by almost 7 minutes isn't helping.

And I would say any defense that can sustain 4 3-and-outs to start the game and only give up 21 points (another 3-and-out FG for the Bears) with over a 14 minute time of possession disadvantage seems pretty good.

IMO, a bad offense caused a lot of that.

These are some of the best stats that I have found.  It just doesn't give with the defense is to blame.  The offense on the other hand...  And it's really been this way all year, the offense has been bad at scoring and sustaining drives since week 1.

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/drivestatsoff

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/drivestatsdef

Edit: this really isn't the post to discuss this, I'll start a new one in a couple of days.
Yup.  Look at the QB stats.  Brady was not good.  Brees was under 200?  Rodgers was bad.  Tribusky was really bad in the game in chicago eventhough the announcers made it sound like he was Pat Mahomes.
Saints loss was on the offense.  Pats, we could have run the ball all game but didn't.  The Hags was on the offense again (and the stupid refs waiving of the penalty on Wagner.  Chicago in Chicago was on the offense.