Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I suspect we've seen the last of Tae Train...
Vikings running back Latavius Murray 'not content' with backup role
By  Andrew Krammer Star TribuneJanuary 1, 2019 — 12:29am
The Vikings embark into the 2019 offseason with lots of questions about their roster. They were among preseason Super Bowl picks after a near-miss in 2018 but completely missed the playoffs at 8-7-1 after Sunday’s loss to the Bears, who took over dominance of the NFC North.
Defensive tackle Sheldon Richardson, linebacker Anthony Barr and running back Latavius Murray are three of 13 players set for unrestricted free agency in March.
“I want to play. I want to start. I’m not content with being in a backup role,” Murray said during Monday’s locker-room cleanout. “I want to compete, and Dalvin [Cook] knows that. We push each other. That’s what it’s about. But I would love to be back here for that opportunity to compete.”
Cook, who led the backfield with 920 yards from scrimmage this season, is the Vikings’ unquestioned lead back. So, Murray’s quest to start again could lead him elsewhere this spring. He turns 29 years old on Jan. 18 and might find a better opportunity — in the form of playing time and money — elsewhere in free agency.
“We’ve both mutually expressed our feelings about me returning,” Murray said. “Then I think we also understand the business side of it. So right now, time will tell.”
Plaguing the 2018 offense, and Murray’s touches, was an identity crisis on offense that was not solved despite coach Mike Zimmer asserting his control by firing coordinator John DeFilippo in December.
The Vikings offense finished 20th in yardage, marking the fourth time in five seasons under Zimmer the offense ranked 20th or worse.
“We truly didn’t know what we wanted to do,” Murray said, “and so that was tough.”
http://www.startribune.com/vikings-runni...503725502/

Probably Iloka out too....

Dejo one of a # of prime contract re-do's. Linval isn't the same player anymore either.

Not sure about Barr/Richardson

Hard to say on that one.  Murray is going to find out real quick that he's probably not going to find a starting job on another team.  He's just not a featured back no more.

I really hope he stays. I love Dalvin but Murray brings different things to the table. As far as Dejo goes, I really don't see as a contract redo. I am thinking he is gone. Going to be interesting to watch what happens to Barr and Richardson. I do not understand the point of Iloka. I was thinking he would have been utilized more.

We can use Thomas or Boone to replace Murray's carries for a lot less money. We really need to find a Mckinnon replacement to pair with Cook. Someone who can lineup all over the field to attack defensive weaknesses and give the Vikings a dynamic playmaker like Tarik Cohen. 

Quote: @"TBro" said:
We can use Thomas or Boone to replace Murray's carries for a lot less money. We really need to find a Mckinnon replacement to pair with Cook. Someone who can lineup all over the field to attack defensive weaknesses and give the Vikings a dynamic playmaker like Tarik Cohen. 
Maybe, but I think it's a projection. Murray is a vet with a very rounded game - just because a rookie UDFA looks nice does not mean he can block, get short yards, spell the starter, all with high reliability. I understand Murray wants to leave, but I'll be sad to see him go - because I'm also not totally convinced Cook will be a workhorse.

Where could be start? Jets, if they don't sign Bell...maybe Tampa...Raiders...

Murray didn't have that much interest 2 years ago when we got him.  I doubt that he'll have even that much interest this go around.  But he might find a place where the lead RB is injury prone, which would mean that he'd have a chance to be the lead back (when the #1 gets hurt).  And that would lead him right back here.
He's OK... but I'm not sure what he does well enough to justify any kind of substantial financial commitment.  Maybe he's a good pass-blocker, but he's not much of a threat in the passing game- meaning he's not much use on 3rd down (since he's really just a glorified blocker).

Murray is a great insurance policy if your starter goes down, but his running style needs to average 20 carries per game to be effective. If we had the money to keep him that would be great but we have too many other needs to fill. Now that he is UFA, I just don't see him signing here to backup Cook.