Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
McFeely: Missing playoffs is exactly what Vikings deserve
https://www.inforum.com/943075-McFeely-Missing-playoffs-is-exactly-what-Vikings-deserve

MINNEAPOLIS —The
Minnesota Vikings are who we thought they were, which is to say a
mediocre team that'll break your heart every day of the week and twice
on Sundays for that matter.
Yeah,
Kirk Cousins is probably overpaid as a quarterback and he was part of
the problem for this edition of the Vikings. But Cousins wasn't the only
issue, and while fans will fixate on him, they best look at the head
coach, the front office, the offensive line and a defense that comes up
small in the biggest moments.
The Vikings
lost 24-10 to the Chicago Bears in front of a revved-up crowd at U.S.
Bank Stadium that showed up leather-lunged and ready to rock for a team
that's broken hearts since 1961. The story-line was as simple as it
gets, as emphasized by head coach Mike Zimmer: Win and in. The playoffs,
that is.
They didn't, and they're not. Instead the Vikings Blair Walshed an entire game, missing wide left on what was supposed to be a Super Bowl season.
Linebacker Anthony Barr summed it thusly: "We don't deserve to be in the playoffs the way we played this season."
And ... scene.
"Nobody
ever looks too far ahead. Everybody is just focused on one game at a
time, but we had a good opportunity," Vikings receiver Adam Thielen
said. "You win and you're in. You couldn't ask for a better opportunity.
But we didn't capitalize and now we're going to be at home next
weekend."
The Vikings finished
8-7-1, which was perfect. This was a slightly above-average team, which
at various times saw its rookie kicker, $84 million quarterback, former
first-round wide receiver and hot-shot offensive coordinator get
disemboweled for helping lose (or tie) games. A team with that much
blame to go around has too much blame to go around.
"You
put in the work this team does, you have the guys in the locker room we
have and to miss the playoffs, it's obviously extremely disappointing,"
Thielen said. "We have to learn from it and come back to work. That's
the only thing we know how to do."
If it's
any consolation, and it's probably not if you've lived through all the
disappointment of the past 58 seasons, this team wasn't going anywhere
in the playoffs anyway. It's becoming clear the Minneapolis Miracle only
covered up the inevitable crushing of purple souls by a week before the
Vikings returned to normal.
How does this
happen? How does a team with everything to gain by winning against a
team with nothing to gain not get a first down until there are but 6
minutes left in the second quarter? How does a team allegedly built
around defense give up a 9-minute scoring drive to the Bears after the
Vikings pulled within 13-10 with a third-quarter touchdown?
"We
didn't do a good enough job to win today. It is as simple as that,"
Barr said. "The big plays, the penalties and third downs hurt us on
defense. Everything that we were pretty good at all year, we didn't do a
good enough job today."
At some point the
head coach has to shoulder some of the blame. Zimmer was quick to hold
others accountable -- see fired offensive coordinator John Defilippo as
Example A -- but he is the defensive mastermind who put together a unit
that was torched in the NFC Championship game a year ago and was
inconsistent this season. And when the Vikings really needed a stop,
with the season riding on it, Zimmer's defense allowed the Bears to
convert five third downs on the mammoth drive that was the dagger to
Minnesota's year.
By the time Tarik Cohen
plunged 3 yards for a touchdown and the Bears had a 21-10 lead with 7:46
left in the game, Chicago had moved the ball 75 yards in 16 plays and
burned 9 minutes, 5 seconds. A kick in the teeth, and another more
southerly region, to virtually end Minnesota's disappointing season.
True
to form, Zimmer left tire tracks on a player. When asked why the Bears
had such good success on third down in the game, Zimmer mentioned a
couple of penalties before tossing rookie cornerback Holton Hill under
the wheels.
"They threw a long ball on
Holton Hill one time. Threw another completion on him, I believe,"
Zimmer said. "And then, honestly, we kind of ran out of defensive backs
today."
Zimmer's players were more
forthright. Few wanted to talk big picture about how a supposed Super
Bowl-ready team couldn't even muster a wild-card berth, but Barr and
others took the blame for what happened against the Bears.
"The
game we played today is not a playoff performance. You can't go out
there and play the way we did and expect to make the playoffs," Barr
said. "The way we played, we don't deserve to be in the playoffs."
Vikings
fans, disappointed for nearly six decades, should appreciate that
honesty more than the drivel coming from the head coach's mouth.

This writer has a little bit of a personal vendetta against Zimmer?

I agree with Barr...The way they played they didn't deserve any post-season. Problem is the fans did (do) deserve it. 

Disappointed with everything in 2018 Vikings. Year started off getting crushed in Philly and ended at home being crushed by the Bears. 

Shame on me expecting different results after 50+ years. 

The Vikings told the same story all year long but some fans didn't want to buy it: inconsistent, mediocre team. Last year was lightning in a bottle. And if you say that the team has a talented roster, than its on Zimmer. Rumors this morning was that Zimmer might be replaced or is retiring, but he just texted Tom P. and said none of that is true. His daughter said he lost like 15 lbs during the season because of stress? Can't be great for his health. Next season is Year 6 for Mike: what does the team have to show for it? One horrible NFCC game loss.

So this will be an interesting off-season. But honestly, how can you buy into anything they do until you see the results on the field for the 2019 season? This was supposed to be their year THIS year. Fans will get jacked for FA signings, draft picks, etc. and its wash, rinse and repeat once again. I knew better, but let myself hope that maybe it would change. Nope. Never does. Its the only thing you can ever 100% count on with this franchise, ultimate disappointment. They never fail to deliver that.

I would rather have Zimmer retire a year too early vs a year too late. Some other poster noted how much trouble Mike has had with the offensive side of the ball since he got here. 

How many OC's? How many QB's? How bad of the OL's?

Some of this is clearly snake-bit, some of this is clearly weakness in coaching/schemes and player development/acquisition. 

Zimmer is the flip-side of the Denny Green coin. Denny couldn't manage/draft D if his life depended on it. 

I wish it was clear cut what needs to be done to fix the team, but we all know somethings wrong and it goes beyond OG. 

Quote: @StickyBun said:
The Vikings told the same story all year long but some fans didn't want to buy it: inconsistent, mediocre team. Last year was lightning in a bottle. And if you say that the team has a talented roster, than its on Zimmer. Rumors this morning was that Zimmer might be replaced or is retiring, but he just texted Tom P. and said none of that is true. His daughter said he lost like 15 lbs during the season because of stress? Can't be great for his health. Next season is Year 6 for Mike: what does the team have to show for it? One horrible NFCC game loss.

So this will be an interesting off-season. But honestly, how can you buy into anything they do until you see the results on the field for the 2019 season? This was supposed to be their year THIS year. Fans will get jacked for FA signings, draft picks, etc. and its wash, rinse and repeat once again. I knew better, but let myself hope that maybe it would change. Nope. Never does. Its the only thing you can ever 100% count on with this franchise, ultimate disappointment. They never fail to deliver that.
Amen. I'm surprised more long time fans like us haven't accepted this stark reality. I became a "I'll believe it when I see it" fan in January of 1999. 
I have to admit, they suckered me in a little in 2009, but not last year and certainly not this year. And honestly, it's been much better for my health: physically, emotionally and mentally. Instead of being enraged last night, I was able to laugh at the predictable chokes by coaches and players alike. Seeing the cat fight between Kirky and Thielen was hilarious. Watching Kirky wince BEFORE being touched by a defender was comical, too. Dropped passes,missed tackles, woulda, coulda, shouda....patented Viking classics!

But, hey, at least the players got to do their childish TD celebration, right? After all, this winning shit is overrated. It's all about the PLAYERS having FUN.

Oh, another positive : the final score was Zimmer's "cup of tea". Combined score less than 35 points. Good on ya, Mikey! Hope you enjoyed it, you crusty ol' bastard!

If Zimmer is back, I really think he needs to become the Head coach not defensive coordinator. He needs to look closer at everything. Starting to look like Buddy Ryan at Philly.
I am ready for something different though. This team has consistently turtled whenever the game gets big.

"Vikings fans, disappointed for nearly six decades".

This is me.

Something changed with Zimmer's defensive play calling this year. He didn't seem to play as much man coverage or blitz as much. Corners played off for easy underneath throws when teams only needed a few yards. The blitzing was predictable and used only on third and long most of the time. The front four had stretches where they weren't getting pressure, and he didn't adjust very rapidly.

But the biggest weakness for me is the job Spielman does. He drafts a number of first round picks and has made some good picks, but always leaves some glaring weaknesses; usually offensive line and QB. It gives the illusion of a loaded roster that under performs.

So is it the coaching staff unable to win with the players they have, or do they not have the players they need to be successful?