Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is Mike Remmers going to be ok at Tackle?
our line will suck again this year i am afraid.  

Last year's line was bad, not just bad, but historically bad.  The odds of whatever we end up with there this year not being better are historically remote.  It just can't happen right?

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
Last year's line was bad, not just bad, but historically bad.  The odds of whatever we end up with there this year not being better are historically remote.  It just can't happen right?
Not sure how to use the wtf troy aikmen  but I agree....it can't happen again.  Injuries are one thing but then you add the amount of injuries to one side of the ball - offense - to one unit - the OL and how early in the year the majority of them occurred.  That doesn;t even count the guys that didn't make it right before the season like Load, Sully and Harris???  Really can't happen again.  Just unheard of. 

The line is still a mess IMO.  Its unlikely to be as bad as last year, but that doesn't mean its going to be decent.  Remmers scares me at RT.  Im not 100% sold on Berger at RG either.  Hopefully, at the very least both guys will be big upgrades in the run game.  It has got to be better or else.

Quote: @KyVikesFan11 said:
The line is still a mess IMO.  Its unlikely to be as bad as last year, but that doesn't mean its going to be decent.  Remmers scares me at RT.  Im not 100% sold on Berger at RG either.  Hopefully, at the very least both guys will be big upgrades in the run game.  It has got to be better or else.
I see a lot of 2 TE sets in our future...or at least strong right , if early reports hold true.
 In fairness it's not like he is facing chopped liver over there.  BRob has been a top tier 43 LDE for a long time and Hunter is certainly earning his recognition.

After we signed Remmers, I went back and watched every snap of his game against us (from last year).  He did give up some pressures (I don't blame him- completely- for the sack; others had a hand in that, too)... but overall he was "OK".  Being "OK" against our defense is like being "good" against everyone else.  But... that was last year, too.  

Past performance isn't indicative of future results.  We have no idea how the line will actually play.  Different guys, on different teams, playing in different schemes, being asked to do different things.  There's no way to know how each will produce until we get them out there bangin' on Sundays.  I expect average play out of OL this year.  I have no reason not to expect it.  But I always try to be the optimist, until I have reason to be otherwise.

Remmers is both the guy who got destroyed by Vaughn Miller in the SB AND the guy who did a very commendable job against him in the season opener the following year.

He's going to have ups and downs. Sometimes in the same game. That's what being around League Average means.

By way of comparison I wouldn't call any of the guys who saw consistent playing time on the Line last year League Average. So there's a marked improvement if Remmers plays to his normal level.

After practice today when heading back to the media cave we walk by the bike racks where the players park their bikes. We see Reif heading out and getting on a golf cart...... That's not a great sign.