Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lions' gameplan vs. the Vikings
I would assume that they will rely on A LOT of short passes... and running the ball between the tackles.  
If I'm Zimmer, I play a Cover-2/press coverage (underneath)... and I throw away the plays that had our LBs moving in the opposite direction of the ball (last week) and focus on simple gap control concepts.  If we do not allow Detroit to have success running the ball, I do not think that they can move the ball on us.  

On offense, I think we can afford to work hard to establish the running game- even if it's not very successful in the first half- because I don't see Detroit being able to put up many points.  We can afford to "let them hang around" while we fine-tune our running game. (I know, it sounds weird in my head, too)

My thoughts as well on the offense.  We need to use this game to let Stef find his footing.  I imagine last week was rather hectic, short week and the change on Tuesday.  This week he had an extra day to further his stamp on the offense.  Morgan being back will certainly help the run game, so be patient and crank it up.
On D I expect we play the cover 2 type to keep it in front of us and then unleash the hounds on 3rd down. 

The only player that scares me even a little is Kenny Golladay. He's an elite talent playing in a terrible offense. But I feel pretty confident that Xavier can keep KG's impact to a minimum. And they have NO ONE else on that offense that belongs on an NFL roster IMO. 

Pumpf— are you concerned that shutting down the run falls on the shoulders of the DL and LBs and we may be without Joseph and Kendricks?  who steps up? LBs Downs and and Brothers?, DTs Tom Johnson, Jaleel Johnson? whaddya think?

Quote: @"Caactorvike" said:
Pumpf— are you concerned that shutting down the run falls on the shoulders of the DL and LBs and we may be without Joseph and Kendricks?  who steps up? LBs Downs and and Brothers?, DTs Tom Johnson, Jaleel Johnson? whaddya think?
From what I've observed, the main issues vs. the run have been the LBs.  Now, granted, it doesn't help when the DL gets shoved back 4 yards; but that's often because our DTs are getting double teamed- leaving the LBs completely free.  But they've made bad reads and taken false steps.  Since I don't think Kendricks suddenly forgot how to play football, I think it has more to do with Zimmer's schemes.  

That being said, I think that our LBs are capable of stopping the run... IF Zimmer stops playing games and just let's 'em play.  Even with Kendricks out.  I think we have others who can fill his run-stuffing shoes.  I DON'T think that we have anyone who is as good as him in coverage.  That might be a bugaboo for us: RBs out of the backfield.  All the more reason to play a press Cover-2 (to leave someone closer to the LOS for just such an occasion).  

I think that J & J can cover for Linval adequately... but I'd rather see Gedeon in Kendrick's spot (for run-stopping) and use the other LBs for coverage responsibilities (i.e. 5 vs. the run and 6 vs. the pass, with outside leverage helping vs. outside runs).

With Kerryon Johson on IR and Tate traded, their whole offense is going to be Golladay.  Stick Rhodes on him and get after Stafford

This a very depleted Detroit team...  their best pass rusher (Ansah) is on IR and they won't have Golden Tate, Kerryon Johnson, or Marvin Jones on offense...
I think you're right, pumpf.  This is a good game to keep fine-tuning the run game and wear down Detroit.  We used a similar formula earlier this year with a more balance attack.  The Vikings had 23 passes and 23 rushing attempts on their way to a 24-9 victory.  Hopefully we'll have more success on offense this time around because that game wasn't put away until Danielle's fumble return for a TD late in the 4th quarter.
Honestly, I hope we see another nice mix of running the ball and play-action to set the tone early.  That should have been the identity of the offense from the beginning of the year.  I'd like to see us jump out to another early lead so we can unleash the hounds on Stafford.