Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Misc. Thoughts: Patriots
Disheartening game because it felt like the Vikings didn't feel that they could win this game.  But here are my thoughts:
  • Improvement:  You would like to see improvement over the season.  The defense has improved but that is against a fairly poor start for this group.  Offensively, I don't see the improvement.  With the patriots, you always now they are going to take away the offense's #1 option (Thielen) but the Vikes didn't appear to game plan for this.  It also seems that they only run outside when they hand off to a wide receiver.  Because the Vikes have played some teams with very sophisticated offenses this year, it really makes our offense look pedestrian.
  • Offensive Line:  I think this may be the most non-controversial thing I will write but Spielman's biggest failure during his tenure is the offensive line.  Everyone knoew that guard was the biggest weakness for this team and the solution of Compton and Remmers is a failure.  Yes, I know Easton is injured but he wasn't exactly a very good guard last year.  I do think the Vikes have their starting tackles for the next five years on the team (O'Neill and Collins) but the interior is a mess.
  • Late Acquisitions:  It is funny how you tend to over-emphasize late acquisitions as what can put this team over the top.  Let's look at them: Brett Jones -- wasn't even active for the Patriots game.  I know people were excited about him possibly replacing Compton but he is not even the swing guard on this team.  Abdullah -- at least he looks like a competent return man; I am not sure why he takes any real snaps though.  Aldrick Robinson -- has some moments but really is a 4th or 5th WR.  Tom Johnson -- has his moments.  Iloka -- I can't recall him at all.  Bailey -- well, what can I say about Viking kickers?  Funny, while compiling this list, I was amazed about how many players the Vikes have actually picked up during the course of the season.  I don't know how that compares to seasons past, but I don't think it is a good thing.  Not only does it affect chemistry but it shows a weak backend of the roster.  Moreover, if the players aren't playing meaningful minutes, does it not take away from development of younger players?
  • Accumulation:  One of the things that strikes me is the fact that what happens earlier in a season accumulates and affects play later.  I think that is clearly the case with Cousins as he seems to be more rushed now than earlier in the season when he was getting pressured more often.
  • Who's Up; Who's Down: As compared to last year:  Linval: down (I also think Zim is mismanaging him and playing him too often on obvious passing downs).  Barr: down.  Rhodes: down.  Weatherly: (unexpectedly) way up; Alexander: up (who thought we wouldn't be complaining about the slot corner position when Hughes went down?)  Hunter: up even with high expectations.  Harris: (unexpectedly) way up.  Diggs/Thielen: up (package deal as I think they are so complementary).  Rudolph: down -- with the new OC big things were expected of Rudolph.  Elflien: down.  Remmers: down. 

A couple comments on the down players.  I think Linval is hurt and that is affecting his play.  Since he tweaked his knee, he hasn't seemed to hold up at the point of attack.  Rhodes hasn't been as effective, but I think the rule changes are a big part.  Elflien is struggling with strength IMO and that is because his offseason was spent recovering from surgery rather than building that strength in the weight room.
As to the additions.  Tom Johnson stands out as the guy that makes plays when called on.  Great pass rush DT when not asked to play entire game. 

Jones?  Iloka?  MIA?  Expected much more.

I think the two biggest problems were thinking Remmers would be a much better guard than he was tackle and that Rashod Hill would improve. Neither happened. I thought Remmbers would be OK inside, too, but he's even worse.

I think Easton was being counted on to continue his improvement. I know every fan seems to want 1st rounders at every position on the line, but every Super Bowl winning team has one or two guys like Nick Easton. They have to. The cap demands it. Also remember that he was no slouch. He was the highest rated pass blocker on the team last year and he was tendered at the 2nd round, which means the Vikings had very high hopes for him, regardless of what fans may want to think. 

I also think that something else is going on here. We likely won't find out what it is (was) until the offseason, but something else is wrong. I don't know whether it's coaching, tells, whatever...players like Reiff and Elflein are better than they've shown. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
I think the two biggest problems were thinking Remmers would be a much better guard than he was tackle and that Rashod Hill would improve. Neither happened. I thought Remmbers would be OK inside, too, but he's even worse.

I think Easton was being counted on to continue his improvement. I know every fan seems to want 1st rounders at every position on the line, but every Super Bowl winning team has one or two guys like Nick Easton. They have to. The cap demands it. Also remember that he was no slouch. He was the highest rated pass blocker on the team last year and he was tendered at the 2nd round, which means the Vikings had very high hopes for him, regardless of what fans may want to think. 

I also think that something else is going on here. We likely won't find out what it is (was) until the offseason, but something else is wrong. I don't know whether it's coaching, tells, whatever...players like Reiff and Elflein are better than they've shown. 
Agree on Easton.  He doesn't look like much, but he was a very solid guard.  I was hoping for Isadora to compete as well, instead we have Compton and the disappointing Remmers.
Tells is a very likely reason.  Either Flip is having a really hard time getting a flow, or our offense is tipping the D off.  As to Elf, I think offseason surgery has held him back.  He was our offensive MVP last year in my opinion, but he isn't getting it done consistently this year.

Having two turnstyles around you has affected Elf no doubt

next year we add two more guards (high draft pick and mid FA), get Easton and Collins back

Reiff-ONeill-Collins-Hill as OT  
Easton-FA-Rookie-Isodora at G
Elf - Jones at C

With a competant middle of the OL, we would be two wins better right now, regardless of how many players on defense have taken a step back (Griff, linval, Kendricks, Rhodes, Barr). 

Quote: @Skodin said:
Having two turnstyles around you has affected Elf no doubt

next year we add two more guards (high draft pick and mid FA), get Easton and Collins back

Reiff-ONeill-Collins-Hill as OT  
Easton-FA-Rookie-Isodora at G
Elf - Jones at C

With a competant middle of the OL, we would be two wins better right now, regardless of how many players on defense have taken a step back (Griff, linval, Kendricks, Rhodes, Barr). 
That's pretty much how I see it, too, with one change: I don't think Hill is back. He's a free agent at the end of the season, and he's just one of those players we probably won't value as much as another team. I know it's crazy to say, but there are teams with worse offensive lines than ours. And Hill has some nice value as a swing tackle who can play both sides.