Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Speaking of QB's...
Vikings working out CFL star Bo Levi Mitchell on WednesdayThe Vikings plan to work out Bo Levi Mitchell, the Calgary Stampeders quarterback who led his team to Grey Cup championships in 2014 and 2018.

The team plans to work out Bo Levi Mitchell, the Calgary Stampeders quarterback who led his team to a pair of Grey Cup championships in 2014 and 2018. Mitchell, who helped Eastern Washington to a FCS national championship in 2010, has won a pair of Most Outstanding Player awards in the CFL.

If the 6-foot-2 quarterback does enough to earn a contract from the Vikings, it’d be on a futures contract similar to the one the team gave Brandon Zylstra out of the CFL in January. The 28-year-old Mitchell would have to compete for a roster spot in 2019, but could push Kyle Sloter for the No. 3 job, or be in position to benefit if the team decides not to re-sign pending free agent Trevor Siemian.
At this point, the Vikings are doing little more than taking a look at Mitchell, who is expected to gauge interest from a number of NFL teams, but if the team decides to sign Mitchell, it could have an interesting prospect for its quarterback depth chart down the road.

http://www.startribune.com/vikings-worki...501946011/

im just not sure how I feel about this,  being good in the CFL rarely translates to anything of substance in the NFL.  sure he would likely be cheap and would fill a need at camp time,  but is he really going to come in a be a contributor in the season?  IMO this type of move would likely push off drafting another QB to groom for Cousins eventual replacement and that IMO is a mistake.  and do we really need a competition for our #3 spot?  I have to think that if Sloter isnt progressing like he should ( and he certainly should be ready for the #2 role after 2 full years with the team) then we really need to be looking at a journeyman in the offseason that is better than siemian and that would really push the need to draft a guy further up the need list.

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
im just not sure how I feel about this,  being good in the CFL rarely translates to anything of substance in the NFL.  sure he would likely be cheap and would fill a need at camp time,  but is he really going to come in a be a contributor in the season?  IMO this type of move would likely push off drafting another QB to groom for Cousins eventual replacement and that IMO is a mistake.  and do we really need a competition for our #3 spot?  I have to think that if Sloter isnt progressing like he should ( and he certainly should be ready for the #2 role after 2 full years with the team) then we really need to be looking at a journeyman in the offseason that is better than siemian and that would really push the need to draft a guy further up the need list.
It's a workout, not a signing. I don't think it means anything at all other than the Vikings working out a good CFL player, which they have done in the past, and will continue to do. And they should. I like that our veteran scouting group has its eyes open north of the border. Brandon Zylstra appears to have been a very good signing. If BLM is signed to a futures contract, makes it to training camp and competes for a spot on the 53, then the workout was worth their time. Because that's all it took. 

I have seen him play a lot. He IMO is already better than Trevor Siemen. Would be an interesting training camp LBM battling Sloter for number 2.

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
It's a workout, not a signing. I don't think it means anything at all other than the Vikings working out a good CFL player, which they have done in the past, and will continue to do. And they should. I like that our veteran scouting group has its eyes open north of the border. Brandon Zylstra appears to have been a very good signing. If BLM is signed to a futures contract, makes it to training camp and competes for a spot on the 53, then the workout was worth their time. Because that's all it took. 
obviously I was talking about a potential signing not just the workout,  and yes its good that the scouting dept is looking everywhere,  but like I said,  if Sloter is still a viable starter some day,  then he needs to good enough by now for the #2 spot and they shouldnt be looking to 28 year olds to fill the #3 role,  that IMO should be a young developmental guy,  but IF they happen to sign this guy then IMO that would likely take QB off Ricks shopping list come draft time (at least when it counts)  and we will not have that cheap 21 year old to groom for a few years to push Sloter and or Cousins.  A guy coming in from the CFL will still likely be lacking in skill and experience and need a year or two himself and then we are looking at a 31 year old before he would be making his first real push for time.  Its just a workout,  but I dont really see the point as of right now and have been underwhelmed with what has come from canada in terms of being a quality contributor worth noting.  so far Zylstra has done nothing worth pointing to and few others that have come south in recent years outside of that DE that came down a couple years ago.

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
obviously I was talking about a potential signing not just the workout,  and yes its good that the scouting dept is looking everywhere,  but like I said,  if Sloter is still a viable starter some day,  then he needs to good enough by now for the #2 spot and they shouldnt be looking to 28 year olds to fill the #3 role,  that IMO should be a young developmental guy,  but IF they happen to sign this guy then IMO that would likely take QB off Ricks shopping list come draft time (at least when it counts)  and we will not have that cheap 21 year old to groom for a few years to push Sloter and or Cousins.  A guy coming in from the CFL will still likely be lacking in skill and experience and need a year or two himself and then we are looking at a 31 year old before he would be making his first real push for time.  Its just a workout,  but I dont really see the point as of right now and have been underwhelmed with what has come from canada in terms of being a quality contributor worth noting.  so far Zylstra has done nothing worth pointing to and few others that have come south in recent years outside of that DE that came down a couple years ago.
Disagree. Zylstra made the 53 man roster. That's like a free draft pick. 

Even if we sign BLM it's going to have ZERO impact on what we do in the draft. Like I've said before, we'll have to either re-sign or replace Siemian---most likely replace. So, IMO, the mostly likely scenario at QB is Sloter moving to #2 and us drafting a QB late to be our #3. MLB will compete with that guy.

In the same breath, you're discrediting CFL players, then you talk about him being too old when he's ready to "push for time" in a year or two. Even if they sign him, I seriously doubt they expect that from him. 

The kids dad knows someone who knows someone and called in a favor. Or something like that. 

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
Disagree. Zylstra made the 53 man roster. That's like a free draft pick. 

Even if we sign BLM it's going to have ZERO impact on what we do in the draft. Like I've said before, we'll have to either re-sign or replace Siemian---most likely replace. So, IMO, the mostly likely scenario at QB is Sloter moving to #2 and us drafting a QB late to be our #3. MLB will compete with that guy.

In the same breath, you're discrediting CFL players, then you talk about him being too old when he's ready to "push for time" in a year or two. Even if they sign him, I seriously doubt they expect that from him. 
I am saying that if they sign him and he shows a little potential that the team would then likely not add another drafted QB,  this 28 year old rookie would become thier project for the future,  but by the time he is likely ready he would be over 30,  is it worth investing 2 years of development into a player that will be past his peak athleticism before he gets a decent chance to produce?   I dont like carrying reserve players to just be a reserve,  i want my 2s and 3s to be guys that are developing into future starters as often as I can.  carrying a middle age (for football) developmental player seems off to me is all.