Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
why can't the Vikings run a screen properly?
Quote: @greediron said:
Running a screen isn't on the line.  You run screens with a purpose of letting people through.  Our screens just never fool anyone.  As Medaille sez, perhaps we don't let it setup.  Whatever the cause, we just don't fool anyone, the defense seems to be ready and waiting.
I don't know, Greed. I have to wonder if our line isn't exactly the problem. 

Our QB rarely takes deep drops because we just don't have the protection to allow for much deep passing. And so when the defense sees a deep drop, they probably read screen first. 

But I also think this speaks to fundamental problems with the offensive line's blocking schemes. You almost have to wonder if one or two of them aren't unwittingly tipping off defenses. Or maybe Cousins is. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@greediron said:
Running a screen isn't on the line.  You run screens with a purpose of letting people through.  Our screens just never fool anyone.  As Medaille sez, perhaps we don't let it setup.  Whatever the cause, we just don't fool anyone, the defense seems to be ready and waiting.
I don't know, Greed. I have to wonder if our line isn't exactly the problem. 

Our QB rarely takes deep drops because we just don't have the protection to allow for much deep passing. And so when the defense sees a deep drop, they probably read screen first. 

But I also think this speaks to fundamental problems with the offensive line's blocking schemes. You almost have to wonder if one or two of them aren't unwittingly tipping off defenses. Or maybe Cousins is. 
Yeah, I was considering that perhaps the line is tipping it off, but it is hard to say.  I think our creativity or game flow just isn't there.  As you have mentioned in other threads, Flip is struggling with calling plays and setting stuff up.  I think we just run screens when everyone expects a screen and are ready for it.  Our play calling is predictable and when play calling isn't going well, it is hard to break out of that slump. I think Flip will get better, but it sucks that another year of change and injury has hampered a damn good team.
Poor play calling is compounded by poor execution by the offense.  We get Adam deep and he can't hang onto a slightly overthrown ball.  Then he drops another easy 1st down later.  Cousins has guys open but dropped his eyes before the pressure actually was there.  When you have a big play against a good team like NE, you have to make it.  So Cousins and the offense has not been helping Flip's struggles. 

So IMO our poor screen passes has little to do with the line and more to do with an offense struggling.  Some of that is on the O-line, but I thought they did pretty well against NE.