Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Line Talk
No matter how many points that get scored tonight I bet not enough attention will be spent on the two Offensive Lines. Oh, and the Saints have a pretty good one too. So do the Colts, which is a major part of Luck's resurgence.

How would you fix Minnesota's? I'm looking for specifics, not "Rick better spend a high pick or fork over the dough for a.FA" stuff, please.

My reasoning for the direction of the post is that after an admitted cursory glance, FA looks pretty crappy.

Yes, Roger Saffold and Ramon Foster would be upgrades at Guard. And they are both undeniably better than League Average. But what if they both want Top 5 Guard pay? 

And it's all well and good to say spend high picks. But on whom? There's a bunch of OTs that will go in the 1st Round and many project better at RT or OG than LT.

But the pure Guard prospects aren't that strong. The kid from Bama and both Wisconsin Guards have horrible last names to type and are currently considered 2nd Round Talents.

So what are your thoughts? I'd personally bring Easton back as he was trending towards League Average before the injury. And he's insurance at Center as Elf has yet to regain his full strength and since we're Vikings fans we need to be prepared for the possibility that he never will.

Glowinski in Indy is a sleeper FA that I like. Been in the League for a minute and finally developed into a consistent Starter this year once pressed into service. Can play all over the Line. And won't cost a fortune.

In the Draft I like Dalton Risner. Hell, I like both Alabama Tackles and even Greg Little and his questionable motor. But I like them as Guards who just maybe could move to RT down the road if O'Neill develops enough to eventually replace Reiff.

But I'm also thinking about the Defensive Line. Can't justify paying Richardson. The eye test shows me he isn't getting enough QB pressures to.offset getting run at a lot. With Joseph getting double teamed so often Sheldon should be killing inside runs on single coverage and he just isn't.

I wouldn't mind a high round pick on a DT that is stout against the run with some pass rushing upside. Too many up the gut runs are getting just enough yardage to make Play Action a viable threat.

Another option might be more of a thumper at MLB and moving Kendricks into Barr's spot. And to be clear, Barr has to go. His erosion of coverage skills has made him virtually extinct as a 4-3 OLB in today's game.

For Roster Building enthusiasts like myself it has been clear for a while that a single offseason or even two wasn't going to be enough to fix the dumpster fire O-Line. But this is the third offseason coming up and it needs to be made into a viable unit next season. 

What are your thoughts on how to get this done? 

get rid of remners and compton on the OL

get rid of barr, richardson, dejo and maybe griff. barr will get over paid. richardson doesnt have the motor, dejo is replaceable and frankly griff has looked lost. 

resign waynes

ill take your word for it on prospects on the OL. 

At best... we have average OL talent.  Our RT is turning into an above average player and our center is good, too.  Reiff is (probably) about average.  But our guards stink.  I wouldn't think that the OG spot would be the difficult to fill, but... here we are.  I do agree on bringing Easton back.  But I also think that we might need an upgrade at the OL coaching position.  I don't discount the effect of losing Sparano.  It has probably affected the OL's performance, as has the likelihood that his replacement is (at least) a step below.

As for other positions, I'm about done with Richardson.  I've watching him go flying upfield (taking himself out of the play) far too often.  And where has Linval been?  Our DT's have all but disappeared.

It very much appears like D-Flip is struggling. So is Pederson. Meanwhile, Reich and Luck are killing it. 

The difference is O-Line play. Philly's is dinged up yet again and not overcoming that problem as well as last year. Minnesota just doesn't have enough talent even when healthy. And Indy, which has totally revamped their Line, is rolling.

It's hard to judge if D-Flip.is any good with this bad of a Line and a guy who just doesn't move like Case or Carson.  Does he stick around by default as the performance so far doesn't look like it would merit a Head Coaching gig somewhere.

If he does stay Zimmer needs to get him a very experienced OL Coach. If he doesn't stay I'm not sure I'd stay in house and expect any different results unless the Line is dramatically upgraded.