Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
For those cutting the cord, or who already have
There is a new-ish service out there, and it is totally legal.

Locast has an app/channel on Roku and other devices, and it looks at your IP address and gives you the local broadcast channels in your maket. So far it is only in select markets, but they are adding cities as they expand.

It is only the local channels, so here in NW Indiana I get ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox, PBS, MeTV, and about 3 to 4 more from Chicago. A couple of those are Spanish Language Channels.

I don’t know of any way to record those streamed channels, but someone who is a little more tech savvy than I am may know what would be needed.

So if you are looking to save money, ditch cable, and don’t really need to record, this might be for you. 

If you couple this with another service called Philo you’d have a lot of content to watch. Philo runs $16/month but doesn’t have any local channels. It doesn’t include any sports, thats why it is so cheap.

Someday someone will invent an app that pulls all these disparate pieces together into one seamless guide. Then I can cut the cord...Wait, I have that now in DISH lol! 

You can just use the home screen search option and then it takes you right to the app and show. 

So......assuming MSP is on the locast app....couldn't you connect to a vpn out of MSP and get the games?

nope, no msp on the list

No reason why you couldn't vpn to someone's house in MN. 

Never heard of Philo before, but it doesn't have any news channels either.  I think I'll stay with Sling.  The local TV app does sound interesting.  You can see the changes coming, but TV is going to be way different in the next 5 -10 years.  Satellite and cable might still be around, but a vast majority will have gotten rid of it.  Cheaper, better options will only continue to get better and more affordible.

Quote: @"Mike Olson" said:
No reason why you couldn't vpn to someone's house in MN. 
How would VPN'ing to someones house matter?  The local internet thing doesn't cover MSP.  Is that what you're talking about?  If theres a way to VPN into someones house in MN and watch the game without them needing to be there to turn it on for me I'd love to know about it!!! 

I could slingbox from MN without a VPN.  Right now its frankly easier to "borrow" feeds from sources on the internet.  IF the NFL would make a package where I could pay for the Vikings and get the games via the web in realtime AND
1.  Not be worse then free in terms of quality2.  Not require me to subscribe to Dirrect TV and get bent over the bench on satellite tv all year long. I'd do it.